The Essence of Life & Death

I spent hours learning how to tie my shoes; and in one minute I undid them.

Nobody ever told me it’d be that easy. Nobody ever told me that the knot that I spent so long trying to tie could be so effortlessly undone. Nobody ever told me that in an instant someone could vanish from this world; that they could flat line into nothingness with a bucket of tears trying to make their flower sprout again… to no avail.

Life is temporary. Death’s permanence stinks of drunken rage, and emotional irregularity. Nobody ever told me that the warmest of hearts could ever go cold. Nobody ever told me that this splendid woman could ever leave this earth. She barely spoke a word of English; I doubt she even knew how to say Death in this new and intricate tongue… it took her nonetheless. Who would've known that she’d toil for 80 sum odd years to be whisked away in the matter of seconds.

Life is marked by undeniable struggle. Death reeks of infinite solitude. Nobody ever told me that an elegant symphony could be brought to halt, in total silence. Nobody ever told me that the as the music reached its last echo off those walls, they’d reached their last breaths. Nobody ever told me that they would never get the chance to mourn themselves. The music blasted loud in their ears… it however, did not wake up their corpses thereafter.

One day, on the beach, a young boy lay down on the sand building himself a sand castle. All night, he built and built and as the sun gave way to the night, so did his skepticism to pride. At last after hours of hardship he had finished… and then the tide came in. Nobody ever told him that on that evening the “high tide,” would be 30 feet tall. Nobody told him that in the matter seconds, his sand castle would be gone.

Life is an enigmatic mother who picks her favorites. Death is a brooding father, whose children he’ll never abandon.
Nobody ever told me these things. Nobody had to tell me.
I learned it all that day with the lingering sound of Sponge-Bob in the background…
“Loopty Loop & pull…”

Lilia said...
today at 6:47 pm:
I love this very much. It is sad, and painfully true. keep writing dude

KenzicoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 24 at 7:27 pm:
Its good and strong. it conveys a concret idea and is sad. yeah i think cory's death shocked everyone. Its not in stanzas, or look like a poem buts its a good article and thought provoking.