Cages | Teen Ink

Cages

By Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington
Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Roald Dahl

You put me in cages.
You put me behind fences.
You put boundaries on my life.

You say your protecting me,
from what?
From the real world?
You want to shut the blinds to life.

Whats with the rules.
The outrageous, stupid rules,
that keep me from everything.

I know you mean well,
but stop.

Why can’t you just accept that I am growing up.
You can actually trust me.
Why can’t you trust me?

on Sep. 5 2013 at 4:40 pm
love.writing BRONZE, St. Clair Shores, Michigan
I don't really feel that way yet but then again I'm only 13 and I'm guessing you're a little older.  :)  I still really liked the poem and the great flow to it!  Keep writing!

on Jul. 25 2013 at 1:14 pm

Roald Dahl

Exactly. I don't understand why they wont just let us live our lives, but then again I'll probably be like that to my kid when I'm older. But maybe not that bad. 

on Jul. 24 2013 at 9:53 am
Carellynn BRONZE, Portsmouth, Virginia

"the grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our god stands forever."
"the grass withers and the flowers fade, because the breath of our god blows on them."
"friends are like bra's their always there for support."

Why is it that they want to keep us in a cage locked away from the real world. I feel the same way I just don't understand what they expect us to do on our own when they don't let us see the things that are real in life...

on Jul. 22 2013 at 11:09 pm

Roald Dahl

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. 

Csquared GOLD said...
on Jul. 22 2013 at 10:32 pm
Csquared GOLD, Lexington, Massachusetts
I like this poem because I think that is shows what all teenagers think atleast once a day. :-) Great job, this poem really shows how we teens think.