Tree House in the Woods

Rotting wood
Splintering pegs
And empty bottles of rum.
Shadows of long afternoons
Full of too much time to wallow.
You were the king of this castle
Once
And all of us
Merely squires.
But my,
How the tables have turned.

And as these walls crumble
Crumble
Splinter and rot
And days begin to turn
Agonizingly slowly
Into years.
I can see you are not much
Of what you once were.

No knight in shining armor
No captain for the crew
No secret agent on the run.
Instead, the bitter wine of
Reality
Has left a sour taste in your mouth
And so you try to wash it out
With an even stronger drink.

And I wish we could go back
To a time that was much more
Simple.
When we were young
When we were free
And you were my king
My captain
My hero
And not just a little boy
Sitting alone,
Crying alone,
Scared and alone,
In his tree house in the woods.

LoonyLoopyLupinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 8 at 1:14 pm:
This is heartbreakingly honest. Your word choice is so vivid. It's- it's like I was looking in a window at a scene, through the lens of the narrator. 5/5. Sad, real and beautiful.

candlelightwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 8 at 8:35 pm :
Thank you everyone for the reviews and kind words, it really means a lot, I very much appreciate it :) and @Seshat, my apologies for not responding sooner, I have very little musical talent so putting it to music would be far beyond my realm of expertice but I believe it would make a lovely song :)

SeshatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 20, 2013 at 10:51 am:
This is a lovely poem - the rythm is excellent and the word-choice is wonderful.  You're a great poet!  Ever consider putting it to music?

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:35 pm:
as i have said before, i really like this one. the word choice and despcriptivity (i totally just made a new word) are perfect. the story told was not so obvious that it didnt require me to think, but not so vague that i had no idea what was being told. keep writing:P