The Lake House This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I've raised mountains
in northern New York,
under a star-brushed sky,
for many years.
I've carried their weight on my shoulders
like Atlas carried the world,
dusting them with trees
and lakes and rivers
that ran through them like
veins.

From the withered stalks of wheat
to the grassy underfoot,
a small crumpled house grew
in which spiders took root
and frogs gathered in,
collecting cobwebs
and pools that summoned starlight.

It was years before the humans
came,
with their loud thoughts
and footsteps that vibrated,
disrupting the earthen ground.
In the lakes,
they wallowed
and in the forest,
they trampled ancient oaks
and vines plump with fruit.
They were big and beautiful and scary;
big and beautiful and scary.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 8:04 pm:
I enjoyed how the perspective was not from a human. I relished all of the details as well. 

dianepoonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13 at 4:12 am:
send them an email

gls_4 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 1 at 11:12 am:
I think the editors made a mistake because this is my poem.  

dianepoonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 13 at 4:12 am :
send them an email

TamzieW.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I can see the house growing... I like the way you've repeated the last line. It's a friendly, sunshiny poem some how. Good job! :)