The Price of a Smile

I know we’ve never been able
to afford much.
Not even new shoes
On Easter
Or a roast
At Christmas
Nor champagne
At New Year.

We’ve never been able
To afford things
Like others can.
But we’ve always
Been able to afford
To look out
for each other

And my dear
I know it all
Looks hopeless
And I know
You haven’t seen the sun
in weeks
and I know
you’re getting sick
of everything
and crisp hospital sheets.
But my dear,
Though we can’t afford
Valentine’s Day cards
And fireworks in July
Or birthday cake
Or Easter dresses
For me,
To ease my aching heart
Can’t you please
Afford to smile?

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 11:03 am:
That was beautiful. I love it. "Can't you please afford to smile?" I was so beautiful. I apologize for not being able to give any constructive addvice or helpful comments. All's I can say is "Wow."

candlelightwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 12:33 am :
Thank you both of you for your very kind words. This means a lot to me :) God bless you both!

GraphicWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 25 at 6:39 pm:
This is very meaninful, very powerful, and it feels personal. The richest person in money tends to be the most lonliest, and the poorest person in money tends to be the happiest because they see that other things than money buy happiness. I liked it very much, I appreciate your vision (poetry).