Battlefield

Why must I chose a weapon?
To fight this battle?
I’d rather lay on the side
Watch the others fall and bleed
Feel my own heart beat
Listening to the quiet drum
As it rises above the trigger
Like I’m the independent drum
That the soldiers march to
That the soldiers fire to
That the soldiers die to.
Never faltering
Never changing beat.
It’s as if I must stand here
Wanting to make a difference
But not moving my feet
Because if a pawn jeopardizes the game
Then the king falls
And the queen takes his place.
Still the drum beats
A hollow falling storm
That ends one song
By starting another
Like the fates and their string
I must chose which falters
I much chose which holds.
When they raise their filthy palms to me
My sight shifts back
I’m miles away
I’m inches closer
I’m just one step away.

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 12:10 pm:
The last three lines of this were seriously amazing. I really liked how you chose to describe the battle from an outsider’s perspective, but still somehow made it personal. Great work! :) Five out of five for sure.

GraphicWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 12:32 am :
You just blew my mind, I didn't even get that perspective when I wrote it, I was using those three lines as in the soldiers themselves, but no, you're totally right! Thank you!

cowgirl4ever said...
Jun. 27 at 7:06 pm:
I agree with ZeroDarkFlirty, this is emotional! And that's not a bad thing. Again, you did a good job with free verse.

yesterday at 1:19 am :
Thank you(:

ZeroDarkFlirtyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 25 at 4:22 pm:
Wow. This is...I don't really have words right about now. The emotion used in this is fantastic. You didn't use a rhyme scheme (something I do obsessively) yet the poem still flowed. Very nice. 5/5 stars.

Jun. 25 at 6:28 pm :
Rhyming and I tend to not get along, I envy those who can rhyme, I'm glad you enjoyed it.