7 Mislead Holidays

In the New Year I thought we’d kiss
but as I leaned in it was a miss.
On Valentine’s Day I’d be yours
except for her, you held the door.
When Easter came you’d be my bunny
though when I sat in your lap you looked at me funny.
On St. Patrick’s day we’d have a drink
but a toast was never made so they could clink.
On Halloween we’d go for a scare
till’ I looked up and you weren’t there.
During Thanksgiving we’d go out to eat
too bad you didn’t show up for the treat.
For Christmas I’d help put up the light boarder
instead you gave me a restraining order.
Turns out you and your girlfriend didn’t like my plans,
I only wanted you to be my man.
You’ll have to lift it soon enough
otherwise I’ll be in cuffs.
For the new year do me a favor
and lift this unnecessary waiver.

Superhero_Fan said...
Okay, that was kind of . . . weird. She was that persistent on a guy who already had a girlfriend? 
Well, you succeded in making me laugh! Good job Lexus.
Superhero~

cowgirl4ever said...
The title is also eye-catching:)

cowgirl4ever said...
Nice job with the rhyming!  

Hanban12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nicely done; you made it humorously so that it almost seemed childish, which is what I can tell you were aiming for. The title is brillinatly thought out as well. Its very original and alot can relate! Great job :)

BlackbeltJames said...
You put the poem together well with the right order of the holidays and relating them to them in the description, which I liked. However, the rhyming was a little offputting in the sense that it stopped the flow; it worked well at times, but remember that you do not always need to rhyme, even to make it flow - don't sacrifice any stronger words or powerful phrases for the sake of a rhyme.
Other than that, it was light humoured and worked well for how you intended it to be. :)

PhoenixCrossing said...
I think the topic with the holidays was a little cheesy but it worked I guess. Also your rhyming was a little off which made it a little difficult to read. 

WrenArrington said...
Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:04 am
Ha, I feel like it's probably not a good thing that I can relate to this ;) Nice rhyme scheme and chronological order (I'm a little OCD, so I hate when things skip around). You definitely accomplished your goal of making readers laugh. Great job!

ZeroDarkFlirty said...
Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:21 am
This poem is truly unique, I'll be honest! Never before have I read a poem that I would make me laugh, make me cry, and relate to my life, all in one! I loved the use of metaphor with the holidays. 5/5 stars!

SoulPoetry said...
This poem is wonderful! Reading the Author's Comments made me enthusiastic to read this and see how this'll turn out :) i'm very very impressed! As always, your rhyme scheme is spot on. The line "You gave me a restraining order" made me giggle. This is a cute poem i love it :) !!!! great job!

Rolledthestone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Funny poems are da beeesssst! Very creative theme plus intriging title. I can't say I relate entirely but I do know what it's like to dream about guys in ridiculous senarios that somehow lead to you being together. Ah love. Thou art cruel when you make me fall for a guy with a girlfriend. ;)