If You Are Joyful, then I Am Content. | Teen Ink

If You Are Joyful, then I Am Content.

By harborlights BRONZE, Janesville, Wisconsin
harborlights BRONZE, Janesville, Wisconsin

Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.

I am lucky.

It continues to amaze me that someone so insignificant and flawed as me could end up with someone so wonderful.

But I am damaged.

I long ago gave up on the hope that someone would be able to fix me. Even you don't know the casualties my heart has taken.

And I am weak.

I wish I could pull myself up and move past it, but I can't. I thrive on the self-pity I give myself.

You deserve better, much better than someone like me. A partner that can push you up, rather than pull you down.

The end is inevitable. I want you to leave, so you will be happy, but I am selfish and keep you to myself.

But I want you to be happy.

So I won't mention to you about the way he comes home, drunken and angry and screaming, leaving us to cower in our bedrooms.

I won't tell you about the times I've fallen asleep crying because I believe no one would miss me.

I won't let you know that there is a bottle of pills that sits in my pillowcase, in case one night I can't take it anymore.

The worthless feeling inside of me, I can deal with. But the day you are unhappy because of me? That is the day that the bottle becomes empty.