Daughter in Moving Car

As we drive the weekly drive, I ask her softly, longingly, hopefully, for a better schedule.
A better way to live, to help me with school, friends, home.
She looks down at me, softly, firmly astounding “no”.
I persist, but she doesn't hear me.
“It isn’t fair to me,” she says. Me, me, me.
Rarely complaining, I am utterly surprised.
Why?
Her finger poised towards me, she points.
My fault, me to blame, her perfect.
Caged in the moving car, we sit without lips moving, no sound from us.
No motion but the bevel of the wheel, the switching of the FM station.
No sound but from the radio, loud is the music to stifle the piercing silence.
Thoughts racing, I think. I think to bury the thinking of before, I must think for now.
What has happened? She’s my mother, I love her, no? No? Yes, but where to draw the line.
The line to ward off eruptions of torment and manipulation stringing from her to me.
A sad moment, yes. A horrid loss, yes. To wallow in pity, no. I must effloresce.
I placed my trust in her, I looked up to her, I found my hope in her.
Though I soon realized, the hope in her was only a reflection I saw in her eyes,
Eyes of darkness that would watch over me.
One better hope not to fall into them, they’re a trap, you see.
Her eyes pursue you,
grasp you,
claim you.
Once inside you drown, drown in deep waters
As dark as a devil’s eye.
Mothers watch over you. Laugh with you. Help you. Love you.
Mothers are supposed to.

GreekGoddessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 6:04 pm:
Wow, I love the ending! I'm not a very deep person, and maeby that was why I was a bit confused in the begining but the end cleared everything up! This was great, awsome job!

officekid replied...
today at 9:29 pm :
Thank you for commenting, that was very kind of you as well. I appreciate those who simply take the time to read what I write, but to be given such positive feedback is wonderful. Thank you

kikixkupkakeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 9:03 pm:
Fantastic! I really enjoyed this poem. 5/5 Stars for me! The way to say the thoughts of hers, the emotions tug at me this way and that. One second I could drown in depression, the next I am holding my head up high in attempt to heal, and the next I'm down on my knees begging for forgiveness. My favorite line: "but where to draw the line. / The line to ward of eruptions of torment and manipulation stringing from her to me." That's pure genius. I feel this character portrayed by the poem so much. ... (more »)

officekid replied...
today at 9:28 pm :
Thank you for these kind words, I am so grateful! I wrote this poem not to "write poetry" but because there was a need to tell something what I felt; I guess that something was paper. Thank you for commenting! I found your ode to squirrels quite entertaining