I Am The Mountain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

maybe one of these days i will
figure out how to count my
pulse so i can number how many times
my lonely heart has had
no one to beat for

and did you know that i
have made charts and graphs and tables
but i still cannot understand why
each beautiful boy has left
like the tide chasing the moon

i am looking for a mountain to climb,
one that is lonely and hushed so that
i can lie on the face of its rock and
tell it my secrets, crack them open
on the stones like the spines
of old books, and ask the mountain for its
secrets in return. and it will tell me of a time
when rising peaks were all there was
to the world, and about how all things
leave eventually, but it remains

i will grow roots into the soil and
be lonely with the mountain and our pulses
will beat together –

because neither the mountain nor i know
how to chase the moon
so i will not leave it
and it will not leave me

Padoodallee said...
May 26, 2013 at 10:28 pm:
You did a beautiful job of describing everything. Your similies are perfect. Your view of the mountain is right on. It's character is exactly as a mountain's should be. The rest of this poem is just fantastic. You used some repetition with the moon, and that adds a lot to the meaning of the poem. It would be great if you could read and comment on a poem or two of mine! Keep writing!

haley101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm:
p.s. i would love it if you could read some of my work and comment on some of my pieces to let me know if there's anything i can work on.

Kamana said...
May 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm:
This is an amazing piece that I absolutely LOVE. Crack them open on the stones like the spines of old books.....no words can be used to describe this line, it's just perfection.

May 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm:
i love this poem!!! quite honestly, it's one of my biggest favoriates since joining teen ink! :) it's really powerful and beautiful

C.M.L. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 26, 2013 at 4:33 am:
yeesSSSS this is really good

sammyluna said...
May 26, 2013 at 2:29 am:
lovely piece, i love the comparison/line "but i still cannot understand why each beautiful boy has left like the tide chasing the moon"   I like how you emphasize you and the montain in solitude but in solace.