The Unknown

Everything is so bright
And vivid
Outside of these grey,
Drab walls.
There's something there,
I can feel it,
Lying right in my gaze
And yet I can't see it.

I long for the day when
I'll have the means to see again,
To see the things that a
Person can only see alone.
It's not just being independent,
It's the life of it all,
Really living with your heart
Pumping and everything else
Pumping in sync.

The air is sweeter outside
These four walls,
Even this whole town,
There's something in the distance.

The sunlight is golden,
Dripping in complications,
A stream of energy that you can
Hold in your hand.

I want to hear
The music of my own,
Not the melodies of another.
I want to think with
Clear dictation and direction
And not worry about the
Consequences.

I want to do all the
Cliche' things with a smile,
Not a grin.
Grins are for the ill at heart,
The ones that feel no glee
Or joy,
Just the need to smile
And yet a grin lie bare on your
Face.

Maybe I'm wishing for too much,
Exalting in the dreams of a fool.
I'll calm down for a few
More years
But I'm afraid it's too late,
The bug is eating at my soul.
This bug yearns for more
Than I can give or take,
Feels every blow more clearly
And precisely.
It affects everyone sooner
Or later
But it has taken to me
Unfortunately.
The bug hates smiles,
The bug loves grins.
The bug wants no one to win.

If life must go on
Without me,
Why can everyone else be free?

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this! I especially like what you said about grinning XD That one was a real clencher for me in the poem. Great job! :D

RoyalCorona replied...
Thanks for checking it out and for your nice comment!

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 28, 2013 at 11:10 am
Hey there! I love the title, the title itself is unknown. It really catches the reader's attention, wanting to KNOW what this unknown thing is. So, in the end, the poem goes known. Oh, how interesting to really think about that. Anyways, I love the picture, it really went with your refrences of the city. This was a great, full poem. I enjoyed the length of it and the variety of sizes of the stanzas. I love the emotion you convey, it's all so real, I can feel it in my bones. I love when w... (more »)

RoyalCorona replied...
May 28, 2013 at 11:19 am
Thank you for the comment! I always get so excited when my page says that I have a new comment and I have to go see it that second! Thank you so much! I'm going to go check out your poem too, from all the work that I've sampled from you, it should be the same as all the rest: perfect!

PhoebeB said...
May 27, 2013 at 11:16 am
I really love this poem. It turns out, for me, to be very sad at the end. Well, actually, I felt like from the middle to the end, I got this really remorseful feeling/mood from the piece. I think it was really touching, and as TheEpic95 said earlier, it was rather relatable which definitely upped the quality of the work for me. I felt like I could understand the character's struggles. How they wanted something more from their life, yet they knew they could never have it. Anywho, great job on... (more »)

RoyalCorona replied...
Thank you so much!! Your comment was so indepth and I love that! Also, I'd rather not let you lose that line because of keeping it true to myself but I am so happy that you asked and didn't just use it! Thank you!

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 27, 2013 at 10:44 am
Wow. Now this is a really relatable work. Who dosent long to live life more fully? To be imeresed in the colorfulness of real reality? I know what it's likw to feel contain, to feel as if the walls about youbare gray, lifeless things that suck you into their own conformity and liflessness, to be at thebpoint where even complications are sweet by comparison. That was the impression I got. "The sunlight is golden/dripping in complications." Somehow the combination of golden and dripping made me th... (more »)

RoyalCorona replied...
May 27, 2013 at 10:47 am
Thank you so much for replying! It means a lot! Yeah, I thought of nectar too! I feel this way almost every day no matter what and I try to break free of it but it's like shackles on me, I can't shake the feeling. 

BookNerd35 said...
Loved it! Just like all the ones I've read. However, I think I liked The Traveller just a tad bit more. All in all though, I still loved it! (For some reason I can't rate it. But if I could I 'd give it a 5)