But No One was There to Witness it | Teen Ink

But No One was There to Witness it

May 9, 2013
By AlphabetLover GOLD, Waukesha, Wisconsin
AlphabetLover GOLD, Waukesha, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
'There is no good or evil in this world but thinking makes it so.' -William Shakespeare
'Even when we think we are alone, there is always someone watching us.' -Sophie Howard


Once, in a forest, the moon shone through the branches while they danced, hitting the ground with such force it made a lightened patch of earth upon the ground.

But no one was there to witness it.

A crisp wind stirred up the trees, making the trees come alive with leaves running down their trunks as if they were children and into the black forest they disappeared from unwanted eyes.

But no one was there to witness it.

As one of the leaves fell silently and swiftly from a tree near the lightened patch of earth, it fell half in of the lighted patch of the earth, and half out of it into the midnight forest., one half full of light, while the other half was lifeless.

But no one was there to witness it.

The forest came alive in anger, for this has never happened before, and the leaf quivered in terror, but was soon filled with happiness as a gentle breeze came swooping out of the forest and carried it into the middle of the lightened patch of earth.

But no one was there to witness it.

It came alive, and glittered as if he was touched by angels hands, and melted the frost around him and the lighted patch of earth, making it warm to him and those around him, for he wanted no one to live not in comfort.

But no one was there to witness it.

He sat there, well past midnight, when he finally realized that the forest was moving around him with creatures so black, you could tell they were not from this world, and only entered to cause pain to this leaf who was now light to their eyes and burned them.

But no one was there to witness it.

But the leaf did not fear, for it knew that the lighted patch of earth would protect him from the evil of the forest and those who did not believe.

But no one was there to witness it.

The creatures stayed near him, but never coming out of the shadows, for down there, they fear light and good, for that was why they came to get rid of this leaf who was now bathed in light as if he were the king of this realm.

But no one was there to witness it.

Soon morning arose and the creatures left, never showing their faces, and the leaf was thankful for now in broad daylight, no one dare challenge him or the light around him, for he was at his strongest.

But no one was there to witness it.

Morning came and went and night finally entered the world and the leaf was glad, but the lighted patch of earth did not return around him.

But no one was there to witness it.

The leaf felt scared now, for the creatures were returning and no one was there to protect him from the evil that wanted to hurt him, for him to see what it was like not being full of light and joy and instead full of misery and death.

But no one was there to witness it.

The leaf quaked in terror, and the creatures came no nearer than they had on the first day, for the leaf was shining as bright as when the moon’s first rays touched him and they wondered how it was possible, then realized that the light was still inside him, but they knew with their dark minds that it would fade away soon; so they waited.

But no one was there to witness it.

Soon, the leaf felt tired and realized that the sun and the moon had fed him with light into his soul so he could not die on that night, but they were not here now. He was tired without the constant light in his face and realized something. He was dying. He was alone.

But no one was there to witness it.

Soon, the blackness came and the leaf felt no more, for the moon and the sun abandoned him and he was entering a new world already, where he would walk alone, forever, without any light touching his face and lighting up his features to the world. Without any joy at all.

But no one was there to witness it.

So the evil creatures of the night now came to the leaf without the light, and realized he was dead, without any comfort at all. Slowly, without any emotion at all, they turned away and walked back, into the forest once more, never looking back at the leaf.

And no one could bare to witness it any more.