The Condemned Word

Religion.

Yes, see the fear in your eyes,
the disgust and the immediate
recoil
as you hear the accursed,
blessed word.

Religion.

Oh how you instantly know just
how weak I am
because of this word I live by daily,
and how I love it.
Oh how you hate it.

Religion.

Something whispered behind
closed doors,
an unacceptable, desecrated
reality,
it’s my reality.

Religion.

The suppression of nature, of
impulse,
a fire putting out of the souls of the
carefree, and a burdensome
punch in the face.

Religion.

Why must you blame it for what
I have done,
or any other unholy, blasphemous
hypocrite?
What did it ever do, but try and find
the answers you seek?

Religion.

It weeps for the broken, and the desperate,
and yet the desperate break it
and abuse it.
Well I weep for those who would seek
to abolish
their only hope for love.

Religion.

You say it’s some sort of unwholesome,
two-faced scheme.
Where is your evidence? Who is your jury?
Surely not the devil who
whispers in your ear?
No, surely we have not been so blind.

freepersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 7:25 pm:
The condemned word is my life (the literal thing, not the poem itself)   

sarahrose314This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 4 at 11:49 am:
Wow- not only do I sit in awe but I can understand and relate to this piece.  Absolutely incredible.  I want my work to impact others like your work impacted me.  I am a Christian and I think that the sincerity and purity of this is sobering and beautiful. I love it.

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 4 at 6:00 pm :
Thank you, that means so much!

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 3 at 1:59 pm:
Jade, this was lovely. I often feel this way, because everyone around me is either a lukewarm Christian, as in general good person, but I have no idea whether they actually believe (like most of my friends, who say they're Christians just because they were brought up in it) and the extremists who give religion a bad rep.   Side note: You haven't been around for many heated debates lately in P&T. :) Of course, I haven't really participated either. ..Stuntdude ... (more »)

Jun. 3 at 5:49 pm :
I've been really busy with a job lately. And yeah, it's kinda much. They're too smart for their own good. Thanks for the feedback! :P

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 25 at 6:36 am:
Jade ! It has been far too long since I last stumbled upon one of your amazing creations. Delicious to taste. Exotic to smell. And beautiful to feel. I suppose that's partly because I have been away from TI for long. But I'm back now and may I just begin with saying how this poem simply rings true with what I believe.  On the writing. If this is good, I wonder what is great? On the topic: I truly FELT this poem. Great , the fact that you put this in words. I could almost see you thr... (more »)

May 27 at 7:36 pm :
Wow. Whether or not I deserve that glowing praise, it is much appreciated! Your so sweet! Thanks for always taking the time to read my stuff!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 28 at 1:15 pm :
You're welcome. I can't not. It always amazes me so much :D P.S. You totally deserve much more than this :))

LiraDaerisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 23 at 10:01 pm:
My favorite stanza is the one about it being the fire that puts out the souls. It's the perfect way to show how people call Christianity something that douses us, yet it's a fire- how they say it's the opposite of what it was meant to be. Very well done! I like it a lot and it means a lot to us persecuted by the agendas set by the system.

May 27 at 7:35 pm :
Thanks so much XD

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21 at 3:20 pm:
This is very much reality for me as I'm an open Christian, even though it's pretty much frowned at to discuss religion at my school. I think you did a beautiful job in expressing religion in this poem and I LOVE the sauciness in the last paragraph. :D Another amazing piece! Have a nice day!

May 21 at 5:08 pm :
Thank you, that means a lot! I think it's important to be open about it, so that others know it's okay for them to be open to! :D

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21 at 3:08 pm:
honestly Jade, you have no idea what this means to me. its what ive been trying to put into words for oh so very long. your an amazing writer. keep it up!    i especially like the last stanza. "you say it's some sort of unwholesome,  two-faced scheme. where is your evidence? who is your jury? surely not the devil who whishpers in  your ear? no, surely we have not been so blind."

May 21 at 5:07 pm :
Thanks, I'm really glad I was able to touch a few people. I think it's a shame how religion can't even be discussed anymore without preconceptions and hatred. Thanks for your feedback!