Your Shadow This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I
Am a follower
Lurking behind
Your every step
Obeying your path
Mimicking each step
I cling to you
Unable to balance
On my own two feet

I
Am dependent
On only the sun above
And you
My blood will only circulate
In sync with yours
My feet will only patter
To the rhythm of your bare toes
My chest will only rise and fall
When you decide to breath in
Our polluted truth

I
Am merely an illusion
Slithering between the legs
Of the unaware
You cannot really touch me
I am not really there
I am below all life
Unnoticed
Uncared for
So that only those
Who walk with their heads down
Actually notice I exist

Soccer23 said...
May 13, 2013 at 4:55 pm:
I love how you started each stanza with I.  Shadows are usually something that many do not pay attention to and i feel as you gave shadows a meaning

Kris_10 replied...
May 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm :
Thank you.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 13, 2013 at 4:43 pm:
Kris, congrats!!! So happy for you right now. This is great. Simply marvelous. Wow.

Kris_10 replied...
May 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm :
Thank you! I've been working on this one fr a while and all of a sudden I just knew it was done. I'm glad you like it!

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 13, 2013 at 12:44 am:
Beautiful! As a lover of shadows, I wholeheartedly approve! I like your style, It was interesting how you started each stanza with "I", like that, just standing alone. It was interesting because on of th epoints you made was that shadows cant stand alone. It had a rather courious effect on me, made me think of someone taking a breath before going on, something not used to speaking their own thoughts.... hmm... I really dont know your intention with that, Im jist trying to give my impression. I g... (more »)

Kris_10 replied...
May 13, 2013 at 9:44 pm :
I know just what you mean! I shared this poem with the writing club I go to. And it deffinantly feels like as a writer, shadows and uncertain things take on a bigger meaning to them. Where as, if you were sitting in a room of Mathemeticians, a shadow would be nothing but the sun hitting something at a weird angle. But now I'm just rambling. Thank you(:

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 13, 2013 at 11:00 pm :
Congrats on getting the red checkmark ;)

Kris_10 replied...
May 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm :
haha. Thank you.