Your Shadow | Teen Ink

Your Shadow

By Kris_10 GOLD, North Scituate, Rhode Island
Kris_10 GOLD, North Scituate, Rhode Island

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." -Theodore Roosevelt

I
Am a follower
Lurking behind
Your every step
Obeying your path
Mimicking each step
I cling to you
Unable to balance
On my own two feet

I
Am dependent
On only the sun above
And you
My blood will only circulate
In sync with yours
My feet will only patter
To the rhythm of your bare toes
My chest will only rise and fall
When you decide to breath in
Our polluted truth

I
Am merely an illusion
Slithering between the legs
Of the unaware
You cannot really touch me
I am not really there
I am below all life
Unnoticed
Uncared for
So that only those
Who walk with their heads down
Actually notice I exist

This poem was originally the response to the prompt, "Write from the point of view of an inanimate object." After going back and revising it, it took on a whole new perspective.

Kris_10 GOLD said...

haha. Thank you.

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Congrats on getting the red checkmark ;)

Kris_10 GOLD said...

Thank you.

Kris_10 GOLD said...

Thank you! I've been working on this one fr a while and all of a sudden I just knew it was done. I'm glad you like it!

Kris_10 GOLD said...

I know just what you mean! I shared this poem with the writing club I go to. And it deffinantly feels like as a writer, shadows and uncertain things take on a bigger meaning to them. Where as, if you were sitting in a room of Mathemeticians, a shadow would be nothing but the sun hitting something at a weird angle. But now I'm just rambling. Thank you(:

Soccer23 GOLD said...
Soccer23 GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Lao Tzu

I love how you started each stanza with I.  Shadows are usually something that many do not pay attention to and i feel as you gave shadows a meaning

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Kris, congrats!!! So happy for you right now. This is great. Simply marvelous. Wow.

on May. 13 2013 at 12:44 am

Beautiful! As a lover of shadows, I wholeheartedly approve! I like your style, It was interesting how you started each stanza with "I", like that, just standing alone. It was interesting because on of th epoints you made was that shadows cant stand alone. It had a rather courious effect on me, made me think of someone taking a breath before going on, something not used to speaking their own thoughts.... hmm... I really dont know your intention with that, Im jist trying to give my impression. I guess it fits, since inanimate objects tend to not have thoughts to speak! And a FLAT, INSUBSTANTIAL one would naturally be a wallflower. It felt significant that it spoke at all.