The Beauty Bus

I saw a girl on the bus today
arms linked through her best friends
face masked in makeup
plastic smile on her face

I saw a girl on the bus today
with highlighted auburn hair
that matched the girl next to her
and her clothes hung loosely about her frame

I saw a girl on the bus today
and even though she smiled
the warmth did not reach the paradise of her brown eyes
instead it died on her crimson lips

I saw a girl on the bus today
who held her head in her hands, laughing
unchipped nails dipped in a fuchsia pink
diamond studs shoved into perfect ears

I saw a girl on the bus today
who was beautiful in her own distant way
and though she had never realized it before
she knew this now

I saw a girl on the bus today
while looking at my own reflection

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 5 at 11:27 am:
okay, i know you asked me to read only three pieces that you contributed but your writing is addicttive, really! And like all poems(that i have read), this was lovely, too. Keep writing

RayynbowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like the descriptions of all the different people and how unjudgmental they all are (well, except "plastic smile," that seems a bit judgmental). I thought at first that every different person was just a discription of yourself and the reflection statement at the end was supposed to mean that you'd described yourself as different people, but reading the comments below it seems that is not the case. But anyway, reading it the first time around in that way was a good experience! C:

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:44 pm:
I love how you start off by talking about all these fake people who are going out on this bus and keeping on a perpetual mask and then closed with a confident reflection of yourself, unblemised by insecurities. I love the positive outlook at the end of this poem! :D Great job!

estucker1998 said...
May 25, 2013 at 2:17 pm:
Woah. Just... woah. That was AMAZING! I think about that a lot every day--like, seeing what people look like with all the makeup and perfect clothes and stuff and wondering how they actually feel. I'm a big fan of strategic repetition and yours was PERFECT. It really was amazing. The imagery was definitely there and I could see it as you described it, even though you only used a few words. That's powerful. I loved the ending, and the message. GREAT job. Keep writing! 

SaphiraBrightscales said...
May 25, 2013 at 7:15 am:
All I can say now is WOW. Actually Lexus already wrote ditto what I was going to write... This is amazing all I'm going to add is I especially LOVED the last stanza!

OldYoungOne said...
May 24, 2013 at 11:44 am:
I enjoyed the poem because it gave a universal message: Love yourself. I liked the way you described girls who were perfect but in a way inperfect in the clain of perfection. Keep writing I enjoy our work.

PhoebeB said...
May 23, 2013 at 8:50 pm:
I agree with all the previous comments. The theme of your poem is also substantially more developed than those of most other teenink writers. You flawlessly attacked a very hard thing to write about: you took on a big risk by writing about how people view themselves and body image, being as it is that lots of people today are very consumed by these things. Well, I guess what i mean to say is... congratulations. Incredible poem!

Chichot123 said...
May 21, 2013 at 9:48 am:
I agree with Mckay and Wordnerd54. I love the meaning behind it, the repetition is simply amazing and the imagery is jaw-dropping. This poems is great! You are very talented, write on :D 

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 15, 2013 at 6:04 pm:
I like the message it conveys: Love yourself no matter what. We're not all Adonises or Kate Uptons. But why can't we embrace our own beauty? It may not be super-ficial—or is it facial?—beauty according to the world's stanards but that doesn't mena we're ugly. Awesome work, Liv. 

wordnerd54 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 14, 2013 at 12:56 pm:
Wow, I really love this! It's such an important message to girls of all ages.  I like how you mention that she looks the same as everyone else at the beginning - because girls always tend to try to fit in so desperately - but by the end she recognizes the fact that she is beautiful in her own way. Great, great job with a wonderful message!

Cutey-Beauty said...
May 13, 2013 at 10:04 am:
Wonderful way to show "stereotypes" and people without judging or condeming or making anyone feel bad. Just a beautifully descriptive observational piece that is just amazing by itself. GREAT JOB!

iDani-iBeautyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 12, 2013 at 10:31 pm:
- Amazing Poem ! I Can Tell You Really Put Thought Into This ! Very Creative, Keep It Up ! :)

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm:
Hey! Long time no talk! I love the title, how creative. It could be a novel or movie title, I think. So, I love the repetition in here, not over-used, not a bad sentence to repeat. Brilliant! I love all the different descriptions of the girls. The metaphors and similies in here are wicked! The visuals you put in the reader's mind the whole time are so clear.. I saw everything. The pink, the hair, the clothes, etc. I see these people everyday and wonder how they truly feel about themselv... (more »)