Honor The Past and Prepare For The Future

From centuries ago to present day
We honor those who've paved the way
From freedom fighters including the youth
To Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth

Back when slaves were being shipped from overseas
And forced to pick cotton and tobacco leaves
While many slaves fought for the right to be free
Some wrote about it like Booker T
And those who opposed began to kill,
Many innocents including Emmett Till
Those who weren't killed were eventually arrested
Like Rosa Parks who peacefully protested

But thanks to every great leader and brave resident
Our African-American history has led to America's first black president
As I prepare for the future, I honor the past
I know the achievements of our African-American heritage will last.

becca.37 said...
May 21, 2013 at 5:51 am
It's poem was definitely moving. I like that you managed to include many historical figures. The picture was great too! My one suggestion would be to try and write a poem in different format- I noticed both of your poems have a rhyme scheme, and while sometimes that's great it can sometimes prevent your creativity and rawness that you really want in those poems.

iDani-iBeauty replied...
- Thanks For The Feedback !

OlveraJorge1 said...
May 16, 2013 at 9:58 am
Very well written and I love the title to this! 

iDani-iBeauty replied...
- Thank You Very Much ! :)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm not black, but I know racism and discrimination. I know what's that like, maybe not as great on a scale as black people have felt it though. Definitely not. This speaks for all who have suffered prejudice. I think it's a great way to honor those people who didn't let prejudice prevent them from achieving thr rights our sountry has now. We may not be prejusdice-free yet...But I think with more people like this, our future can become that prejudice-free world. A world that does... (more »)

iDani-iBeauty replied...
- Your Comment Was So Inspiring! Every Word That You Said Is So True And I Hope You Really Related To The Poem Even Though You Are Not African-American . These Types Of Things Actually Happened All Over The World .  Thanks For The Feedback ! :)

Ricoo22 said...
That was good, haha. I'm not black lol but that was creative writing.

iDani-iBeauty replied...
- Lol ! Thanks For The Feedback :)

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Represent!!! Now, that my friend, was insprational. I love the rhyming: very creative. I actually used this picture in one of my pieces. Great job!!!! if you have time, feedback needed on my end too, jut choose anything you like if you have time, cuz i would really appreciate if you read my stuff. :) Amazing job. Keep rockin

iDani-iBeauty replied...
-Thanks Sooo Much For Your Feedback ! I Really Appreciate It !