Where I'm From

(based off of "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon)

I am from pencils and journals,
From Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch
And Smuckers strawberry jam.

I am from the small looking cottage,
Bigger on the inside than out,
As large a lawn as possible,
Smelling of fresh cut grass on a Saturday morning.

I am from the purple azalea,
The tall, thin pine tree,
Whose cones I used as ammunition.

I am from Sunday lunch at Nan’s and sarcastic jokes,
From Bairds and Hills and Tuckers.

I am from the latecomers and late sleepers,
And all around comedians and musicians,
From always be yourself and you can be anything you want to.

I am from the cross,
Big bows and fancy dresses,
Frilly socks that have to be just right,
And doodling on the donation cards.

I’m from Tuscaloosa and Scotland,
Creamed corn and home fried chicken.

From the unknown hero that was my grandfather at the creek,
And the car that hit his son one April Sunday morning.

I am from the ever-growing pile of scrapbooks,
Bursting with pictures and notes.
Who I am.
Where I’m from.

thisisascreenname This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was really beautiful. I don't even know what else to say.  

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So I, unlike you and Lexus, am not from Alabama but from New York. I'm pretty sure that they are pretty different. Never mind that, you piece was awesome. Though I couldn't relate to everything, the feeling that I got from this poem was: I belong. So I can pretty much get the feeling that you belong somewhere. Oh and the part about your Grandfather,so moving. Like Lexus said, the ending is perfect. This is funny because I literally just submitted a poem called I Am From about all the things that... (more »)

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 18, 2013 at 11:41 am
Hey there! So, I poured my heart and soul into commenting on this like two days ago and it never posted and I got so angry that I have not tried again until now. Well, me also being from Alabama I can completely relate to all of the things you put in here, but I think that even if I weren't from there I would be able to relate. The smells, feelings, sounds, everything you put into these come to the reader so easily. You do a great job with visuals in all of your writings and I am so imp... (more »)

estucker1998 replied...
Thank you!  By the way, I have a new poem up called "Shadows" that I would love for you to read.