Instrument of War

An extension of yourself
Is an arm or leg
But what about the weapons you use
The possessions of hate.

An extension of yourself
Is an embrace or soft touch
But what about the music you make
The possessions of love.

The fire you endorse
Not of flame but of fear
Burns like water
Tongues taking everything in their paths.

The notes you breathe
Not of voice but of trumpet
Heal like fire
Warming hearts and tracking thoughts.

The war you fight
Compared to the music you make
Not a gun
Or a trumpet
Make what you do with war
With music.

As the extension of you
Keeps others safe.

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 12:05 pm:
This is such a cool concept! I could almost hear the music as I read, which was especially impressive seeing as you did not mention it outright until somewhere around the fourth stanza. Stylistically, it is lovely. You raised a lot of interesting ideas (fire of fear burning like water, use war and music instead of guns and trumpets, the triumph of grand concepts over tangible details). Such a joy to read!

GraphicWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 12:45 am :
Thank you!! You have honestly made my night with all this positive feedback on my work, thank you, thank you, thank you- and I'm glad you enjoy them! :)

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 9:33 am :
You are very much welcome! I had so much fun reading everything! :)