Sarcastic Rebel | Teen Ink

Sarcastic Rebel

April 20, 2013
By Virginia PLATINUM, Bartonville, Texas
Virginia PLATINUM, Bartonville, Texas
21 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
And yet, through the gloom and the light,
The fate of a nation was riding that night
And the flame struck out by the steed in its flight
Kindled the land into flame with its heat

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Forsaking old, embracing new
Watch yourself light the sky
Spark the world, rise to heights
Rebel beckon, they listen; so few
Understand Voice, that thy
Words waken, custom fights.

City on the hill glowing high
On what you please, wander
Down alley-way to peer
Wide-eyed Rebel, innocence die
Fast by bliss, yonder
Lures shine of something sheer.

Flamboyant laughter, this is it
Breaking out “in dancing
Flame”. Rebel, the world sees
And listens—turn around, knit
Their hearts, glow’s glancing
Bring them to their knees.

Experiment, it’s regular
Now you abandon earth
Head extraterrestrial
I get it, you are a Rebel
Express yourself birth
Someone bold, indisturbable.


The author's comments:
(I posted this as well on DA)for a more lengthy bit of background on this poem, check that out.

Sarcasm. This is all sarcasm in that poem. Yes, Rebel. Light up the sky. Dare with experimentation. This is the contemporary, 21st century attitude. This is what people say all around. As an American, I'm watching America once the rebel pitching against tyranny now pitch against Truth. Truth. Not relative truth. We rebel against Truth. We want to strike out at the Greatest Truth and give a "flamboyant laugh". Yes, we do. We all do. As humans, we rebel. I do. You do. The person reading this is probably human. This poem is not meant to slam anybody. I'm slamming rebellion. There's this thing called Darkness. It's contrast is Light. Many imagine that a gray patch separated Light and Dark. Not so, my friend. That gray patch is a myth. There is this thing called Darkness, and it rears its head. It bares its claws. It blinds us with its mask of gold. We put on masks. We listen. We follow. We rise up, when simultaneously we sink down. It's happening. But to be honest, it doesn't have to. This is my statement. I was reading about a singer, a singer who struck out on a new path with music, took the "high road". The high road, one of being drunk on bliss, on being someone in "Dancing Flame"~If you want to know who I am talking about, I'm talking about Katy Perry. Listen to her music. You hear some notes of rebellion. If you disagree, you disagree. I disagree with Experimentation, humanism, relativism, and secularism. So now you know where I stand. I want to walk in the Light. Please, I'm not slamming You. I'm slamming the way this world is embracing the twisted and unnatural. I'm slamming the norm. Because the norm is NOT NORMAL.
My last lines are
"Express yourself birth
Someone bold, indisturbable."

I'm watching kids my age become indisturbable. They embrace everything. As long as it "makes that person happy".