Depression This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Depression does not always mean
Beautiful girls shattering at the wrists
A glorified, heroic battle for your sanity
Or mothers that never got the chance to say good-bye

Sometimes depression means
Not getting out of bed for three days
Because your feet refuse to believe
That they will not shatter upon impact with the floor

Sometimes depression means
That summoning the willpower
To go downstairs and do the laundry
Is the most impressive thing you accomplish that week

Sometimes depression means
Lying on the floor staring at the ceiling for hours
Because you cannot convince your body
That it is capable of movement

Sometimes depression means
Not being able to write for weeks
Because the only words you have to offer the world
Are trapped and drowning and I swear to God I'm trying

Sometimes depression means
That every single bone in your body aches
But you have to keep going through the motions
Because you are not allowed to call in to work depressed

Sometimes depression means
Ignoring every phone call for an entire month
Because yes, they have the right number
But you are not the person they're looking for, not anymore.

jadieb10 said...
today at 6:16 am
Okay. This is such a long shot, but honestly I am satisfied just knowing who wrote these beautiful words so if you don't respond, it's okay. I found this years ago and remembered it because it was so relevant and perfect for the situation I was in. It's honestly such a beautiful piece of art. I've grown so much and this poem really took part in what I went through and i'd love nothing more than to have your permission to have some of the words tattooed on me. If not, I u... (more »)
Kid_With_A_Pen said...
Jan. 15 at 10:34 am
great job very relateable
GennaElissaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is absolutely brilliant. I don't think this subject matter could been put into words better or more eloquently than you've done.
MRNONAME101 said...
Oct. 12, 2014 at 5:27 am
Thankyou for helping to spread the word and getting others to truly empathize with those who have depression
Dinky.2017 said...
that was powerful and awesome
hectic.harmony said...
Hi I don't know if you are the original author of this poem cuz when I found it everywhere else it said Elexandra Tilton and I'm sorry I'm doing this publicly I dont know how else to egt in touch with you.. Uhmm someone on tumblr has plagorised parts of this poem and is taking credit for ir. I asked them about it but they havent said anything to me or taken the poem doen... I don't know how but if you know how to message be privately that would be nice. I just would want to know ... (more »)
twentysixscribbles This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Hello! I am the orginal author of this poem, though I did publish it on my own tumblr first. I have a few pen names because of insecurity, one of them being Alanna and one of them being Hannah Nicole. I did see that floating around though, and I talked to the person and they went back and put my name on it. Thank you though, I really appreciate your concern :)
BandGeekAndProud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you for writing this. It feels so good to know that someone feels the same way I do, in a sick, twisted way. Not that I wish this on anyone, but it helps to know that I'm not alone.
Keeper6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so true and real. Thank you for writing this.
LReisman said...
This is amazing.
Ankylosaurus said...
That was fantastically brillliant. I always love poems or short stories with an amazing ending. Very good. 
itsjustmeHannah said...
Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:06 am
Amazing job on this poem. it made me tear up reading it. its deeply moving, and please tell somebody about your depression, the world could use a great writer like you. so hang in there :)