Blink, Clot, Wake | Teen Ink

Blink, Clot, Wake

By samanthastephens2 SILVER, Sellersburg, Indiana
samanthastephens2 SILVER, Sellersburg, Indiana

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment.
I told them they didn’t understand life." John Lennon

Her eyes are empty.
As if her pupils are dry, desolate caves; once filled with joy but were flooded with tears.
Her irises are the color of loneliness and her retina leads to solitude.
Her corneas are longing for alleviation and salvation, yet her eyelids are not built with enough strength to block her lenses from this world.
But she continues to blink.

Her arms are scarred.
As if her skin are treacherous battle fields; unleashing warfare against her own body.
Her wrists wear bracelets of hatred and her elbows are covered with sleeves of detestation.
Her veins are aching for help and aid, yet her skin will never be thick enough to block the flow of blood that keeps her alive.
But she continues to clot.

Her body is tired.
As if her bones are sturdy, strong frames; holding up pounds of depression and gloom.
Her brain is sending orders of self-hatred and her legs are moving at a pace of opposition.
Her heart is screaming for tolerance and acceptance, yet her mouth is closed shut for the benefit of the others around her.
But she continues to wake.

No matter if it's a just rough day or it's a rough year, strive; things will get better.

Thank you so much! I was really trying to convey that message!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I love the message in this poem. You've got yourself an AMEN and a TESTIFY! from me. Everything will get better if you have hope even if thing's are grim at the time. Life just works that way. We all suffer; it's just that some of use don't get back up. Thank you for conveying that feeling of hope during suffering.