A Place Of Light | Teen Ink

A Place Of Light

By KarinaIsabel7 BRONZE, New Haven, Connecticut
KarinaIsabel7 BRONZE, New Haven, Connecticut

The brave might not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

It was a Sunday night in which i experienced the biggest argument with my parents. All the anger inside of me lead me to say things i did not mean. I ran to my room and fell on the floor. I was weak and in tears. I felt as if a demand took over my body. I heard a voice telling me to end my life. It told me to drink all of the pills which were kept in a cabinet. Feeling hopeless, i did so. Once those pills went down my throat all i heard was, "help, help! My daughter needs help!" I can breath, i can feel, i can hear, but i cannot talk nor see. My eyes felt as if they were glued together so i would not be able to open them ever again. When i get to the hospital, i feel people lifting me up and laying me on a bed. I hear doctors saying, "she is in a coma, but so far there is nothing in her body to let us know what caused this to happen." My heart is beating so hard i feel as if my chest were about to break into pieces. I have been left in a room, alone with no one around me. I asked my self what was going on. And then i realized, all the pills i drank caused me to be left half alive and half dead. Weeks past and i am still laying on a hospital bed with tubes all around my body. I am tired of not being able to see nor talk. I just want to wake up tomorrow to this just being a nightmare. I regret listening to all those negative thoughts. I regret saying all those heartless things to my parents! I want my life back. The next morning, i wake up to my little sister jumping on my bed, trying to wake me up. I open my eyes and look around my room, everything is so bright! I can now see and talk! "I am alive.. I am alive!" I shouted. My sister looked confused. She finally asked me to help her write a poem in which she needed to describe a place of light. My answer to her was, "a place of light is life!" My nightmare helped me realized that light is not only a lite bulb nor a lamp. It is a place in which you live happy and are surrounded by brightness. And since then, a place of light for me is life itself.

I wrote this poem to show that a place of light doesn't necessarily need to be a room with a lit bulb. It can mean different things to different people. For me a place of light is life its self, which is why i wrote this poem.