$50 Cologne

Lipstick stains and a messy french braid,
the smell of coffee and a full ashtray.
You’re probably missing the mini bar, I would stop and ask you how you are.
But, it’s been how long since I smelt your $50 cologne?
I could drown myself in your deep brown locks.
I loved how angry you’d get when I made fun of your stupid crocks.
You and I are just a polaroid pushed up against glass in a frame on my dresser.
My mom tells me to throw it away, it’s only torture.
I don’t see it like that, do you? Was my sweater in your closet?
Remember when your $50 cologne got on it and I made you wash it?
The other day I saw your brother, he hugged me and I only thought of you.
The color your face got when he hugged me, you were blue.
I always knew that he liked me and apparently so did you.
I asked him how he was and he didn’t really answer.
He said he was doing just fine and that it’d been a long time since he brought up me and you.
It made me sad, why would he say something like that?
His sweater was red and it reminded me of the color of your bed. The way my lipstick seemed to blend and mix with the cotton of your sheets.
He didn’t smell like your $50 cologne. He smelled like captain morgan.
That’s your favorite, I know you adored it.
I hate the smell of it and I hate it’s taste, but sometimes I drink it to take the pain of you and I away.
I have your half empty bottle of $50 cologne still right next to your prescribed pills.
The orange bottle with the child proof cap was always missing way too many.
I can’t believe you did that, can’t believe you left me.
There was no note, just your bottle of $50 cologne.
Your mom said that I should have it and sometimes I just spray it out of habit.
I wish you were here but you’re up in heaven.
I miss you and your cologne from isle eleven.

MissExploration said...
So sweet! I love how you made the $50 Cologne connect to the emotions and everything the narrator remembers.  This small token the narrator has, shows so much of her feelings. I like how you branched out this small thing to so many different memories. Great job!!

nelehjr said...
Okay, I read this a while back and haven't been able to get it out of my head! I gotta ask, is this just fictional or is this something that happend to you/a loved one?...Hope that's not to personal of a question...

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Hey there! Thank you! And thankfully this is only fictional!

SimplyErica said...
I feel you. I can relate to this poem a lot and it's amazingly written! (: Good job, keep it up.

Metal4Life said...
OH MY WORD! This poem is so well written :) A very powerful piece, and very touching towards the 6 senses. it created sight, sound, touch, smell, feel, and just WOW! Amazing Job! :) i loved this!

Court901 said...
Wow! That was sad. I think it's really good, although it confused me a bit at the beginning about the sweater. It seemed like it switched subjects too fast. But that may just be me. I really like this poem.

Chichot123 said...
Who was the inspiration of this amazing poem?

Chichot123 said...
Simply amazing :) love what you did with the rhymes

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, the ending brought me to tears. I never thought that was possible. I love this piece!

dragonsandthree said...
This is yet another amazing poem. It flows beautifully.

LexiDawn said...
Loved this<3 The entire time I was reading I thought he has just left her but the ending was like-----> Woah :O

Someone2know said...
Great Poem : )

jess14 said...
wow this is so amazing. i have always felt so jelous of the people who can make their poems rhyme cuz it always brings a whole diff element to the poem! great job, the end end was so heartbreaking 

lily_sings said...
Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:14 am
The way you wrote this piece left a feeling of rawness in my heart...I can nearly feel the heartache that this poem exudes. Excellent job. The wording is a little uneven (?) at some points, but I kind of feel like that contributes to the message of the poem.

michaeln123 said...
Love this, i could see everything in my head and it made me feel the details as if i were you! Check Out my work if you have time - thanks

SarahGrac3 said...
I really enjoyed reading this it was great! At a couple of parts I wish it would have flowed a little more smoothly but overall the storyline was great:)

YellowRose79 said...
Yo, This was great :) I really enjoyed that it balanced her wistfully reminiscing with a bitter edge. It portrayed the feeling well along with a story in only a short time. Great job!

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 15, 2013 at 2:02 am
Interesting work. The detail is astounding, and really draws you in. The whole time i was a little bitter, both at the girl and the guy, she for complaining and he for leaving, but he was dead... the whole time he was dead.... it had a very strong effect, holding that back til, the end. All the little details that id clung to began to look a little sarper, make a little more sense, too. This is good! Nice work, ya have talent :)

swat17 said...
Love the details and imagery in this poem. You did a great job at maintaining the mood as well. This poem really reflects maturity. Nice job!

patriciagiarraffa said...
Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:18 am
love this, very deep