On That Day

The direness had not reached me yet.
I thought it was a simple problem,
Fixed on that day,
Home in an hour.

Then the news came,
The details, the diagnosis.
We left.
The direness had not reached me yet.

We drove not far,
But it seemed a hundred miles.
We stopped, rushed inside.
The direness had not reached me yet.

We had to walk, one at a time,
Down the silent linoleum hall.
I was last.
The direness had not reached me yet.

I made my way
down that cold, silent hallway.
Crossed my arms, uncrossed them,
strapped them to my sides.
The direness had not reached me yet

The last room on the left.
A flimsy pane of glass,
a thin, green curtain
Is all that separated one from the other.
The direness had not reached me yet.

I walked in; minutes passed, things were said.
Hugs, kisses, goodbyes, the beeping of machines.
I walked out down that long, cool hall,
stomach in knots, fighting back tears.
The direness had not reached me yet

One year passed from that day,
April fifteenth, a Sunday.
There is still a dent.
The scars still remain, added to three times.
The direness has not reached me yet.

candlelightwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:23 am
Wow, fantastic poem. Your use of repitition works really well in here.

tuckertwin12 replied...
Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:20 am
Thank you so much!

YoAdriane This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't know if you've heard of ASFA (Alabama School of Fine Arts), but you seem pretty serious about writing. You should think about applying for Creative Writing next year. I'm a sophomore in my second year, and it's the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.

tuckertwin12 replied...
Thanks for the info! That sounds really cool!

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Hey there! Good job! I think this is really well written and it has amazing visuals. I am really sorry that this happened, but sometimes the best work comes out of the worst experiences! I am glad that the biker is alright! My only suggestion is maybe put 'The direness had not reached me yet' in only the second and last stanza! But, that's only a suggestion so take it lightly. c: Overall, greeeat job! You're great! Xx!

tuckertwin12 replied...
Thank you so much!! That means a lot! I'll definitely take that in to consideration. I'm so glad you liked items I really appreciate the advice and the compliments. Thanks again!!

tuckertwin12 replied...
*it (not items. Stupid autocorrect!!)

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Absolutely! Let me know when more of your work is posted. c: I'm from Alabama, too, before I moved! You better love that place! Ha! Talk to you soon!

tuckertwin12 replied...
Ha! That's so cool! I do love it here! Roll tide! (sorry if you're an Auburn fan. I don't know if I can put your phrase in to writing ;) I looked at your work and I love it! Keep in touch! 

Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:33 am
Omg, you pulled the "RTR" >:( Hahaha, War Eagle! I know they really sucked this year, but hey, they will get their head's in the game. On the contrary Bama did great. Of course! >:)

tuckertwin12 replied...
Haha! I'm willing to look past that since you are such a good writer! ;)

Well, I appreciate that! c: What's your name btw?

tuckertwin12 replied...
Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:22 am
Hey! I have new work up. It's called "Through Yheir Eyes" and I would love some feedback on it. It's a short story under historical fiction and I just got it published today! Thanks!