As the World Goes On

On days like these, I like to see the world blurry.
Where all the colors smudge, revealing a dirty canvas.
It reminds me that we are all just numbers responsible for turning the broken hands of time.
We are just clumps of wet snow that melts persistently on a dark, wet sidewalk.
We are nothing special.
Just shards of glass, scattered about a dusty floor.
With hearts that have been wrenched from cold bodies.
And all the love in the world has resigned back to its cold, black box.
We are just figurines.
We are just furniture.
We are just place holders and book marks for something more.
And while we sit idle by
Glinting in the streetlight
Hiding in the shadows
Being "just"
The world goes on.
But please someone tell me who put us in charge of turning this planet, because I don't see how it happened.
We are nothing special.
And still the world goes on.
And we rise
And we eat
And we rest
A never ending cycle of bore.
And the world does go on.

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 8:37 pm:
I like the idea behind the "We are nothing special." I love your imagery in here as well. Amazing job on a creative topic! :D Have a nice day!

GraphicWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 1:04 pm:
Ah yes, the boring, normal nomad human life. You've taken normal boring words, and used them to somehow leave a want of excitement in this. A hint of mystery. Lovely. And the desperation hidden underneath makes it just that much more enjoyable.

cayaTWThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30 at 3:37 pm:
My favorite part about this work is the descriptive language and bold statements. I liked how you described us very angrily.

jmitchbbThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 4 at 2:42 pm:
I love this poem! My favorite lines are: It reminds me that we are all/just numbers responsible for/ turning the broken hands of time. Great job!

FireloverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 3 at 4:32 pm:
i like how you make everybody equal, and the way we can do things without really making progress  

Cutey-BeautyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 23 at 6:39 am:
I used to wonder what it would be like if the world just...stopped. Without me. This poem really reminded me of that as well as a sense of purposelessness. What I used to be like at a younger age. So beautiful in  a tragic, gloomy way. :)

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 22 at 6:01 pm:
Though the tone of this poem is intentionally dull and gloomy, a restless spirit seems to glint from between its folds, discontent with this purposelessness. It's haunting, true, and absolutely beautiful.

E.J.MathewsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 16 at 11:00 am:
I really liked this poem! It had a ton of imagery, and asked some really good questions. Great job!

AugustSummerFlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 14 at 10:04 pm:
This poem was good :) yes, no matter what happens, the world doesn't stop and wait for anyone... Life goes on! And yes, we are all just figurines but furnitures, but we are billions of them! Think of the difference that we can make (for better or for worse) in this world! Good changes (peace, equality) are a long way to go, but don't give up hope! I really liked this poem :)

AugustSummerFlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 14 at 10:06 pm :
And* not but

mollybug13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 9 at 7:18 pm:
Great poem very creative. 5 stars

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 8 at 7:55 pm:
hmmm. I liked this, but i think i'm too stupid to get it :P anywaaaaayz, i DO know that your style was good and the rhythm was flawless, so you're good in my book!! :) :)

Anathema-EquinoxThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 7 at 4:20 pm:
Great poem, but I believe that you a make an awesome essay about this topic.  This poem is really philosophical, it makes you think, about us human beings, it reminds of a piece i'm writing about Americans

HannahBanana99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 5 at 4:36 pm:
This is AMAZING. I love all of the metaphors and creative phrases. it was so good; I read it over and over again :)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 5 at 1:15 pm:
The title reminds me of As the World Turns. Great poem with a haunting yet true message. This is an amazing piece. Awesome work!

7_AmbitionsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4 at 7:10 pm:
This was simply, amazing , i loved it , and read it over and over again , beautifull , wish my writing was like this.

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4 at 6:22 pm:
Oh my! This is so amazing. This is probably my favorite piece of yours. This line, 'It reminds me that we are all just numbers responsible for turning the broken hands of time.' is PRICELESS. I love this more than I can put into words!

Literature_DarlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4 at 1:04 pm:
This is by far my favorite of all the work I have read of yours! Perfect expression and great line breaks! I loved every aspect