Hit Me, I'll Burn You

You hit me and I fall, lying cold on the ground, unable to fight back.
You think you know what it takes
To hurt me,
Yet I rise again as an ever-changing flame.
I never die out, but you say I burn you,
Well I might do that
But you touched me and that’s the price you pay.
It was not okay.
I can’t fight back, yet you say
I burn you,
How can I burn you?
When all I ever do is be myself?
You say
That I hate you, that my lies are what
Separates
Us, what keeps this from becoming something
More,
But I say it’s you, thinking you own me.
You don’t know me.
I can’t control you, but I can’t even control myself, my flames
Are writhing,
Struggling to be free of this infernal cage
That is you,
Suffocating my fire and my will to keep adapting to you,
Smothering,
My will to burn.

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this! I clicked on the title thinking, "Oooh! This sounds SASSY, this is soooo going to be good!" You don't disappoint, either. :D However, I don't necessarily think this is sassy, but full of fire (whoa, pun!). Anyways, have a great day!

AugustSummerFlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 6, 2013 at 12:57 am
This was passionate and full of determination. Great work :)

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jade! Your vocabulary is SOO amazing! The last line was by far my favorite... WOW. The entire metaphor was very nice, and I liked the slight mood change... (from confident to questioning) This is amazing as usual!! Great job. (:

romanticpoet said...
Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:12 am
i really liked the gesture

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks :) :)

BrittanyLovesYouSnyder replied...
Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:00 am
this is amazing :D