Complexity | Teen Ink

Complexity

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

This love between you and me
they wish to expel
trying so hard to smother
it…vainly?
I think they will not win
—they will not be champions
over you and me:
we can be kings
and emperors of our own lives—
in this exclusive worlds.

If the road is wide
open then
to all we want and crave
…why do we
falter, numbed
by all they do and say?

A gay boy wonders why he and his boyfriend can't get away from all the hate.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Denied. With a D. But I'll try to re-post it I swear. Somehow you'll read it. 

OldYoungOne said...
Is it not yet posted or did it get denied? And I am glad to make you happy.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Friends?! Really?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, it's awesome; although I technically did disappoint you with Besos not being posted. :( Boo hoo. But yyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! That means the universe for you to say that. :D

OldYoungOne said...
That means alot to me. I never thought I would find a poet friend on here. Its a wonderful feeling.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. It's the least I could say. Anytime someone comments on my work I'm amazed by how the genuinely care about it and find some worth in it. Thank you for making me feel that way. 

on Apr. 17 2013 at 10:35 am
samanthastephens2 SILVER, Sellersburg, Indiana

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment.
I told them they didn’t understand life." John Lennon

"we can be kings and emperors of our own lives" Whoa. All I can say!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. Your stuff—excuse me, your work is good as it is. In fact you've inspired me recently with some poems I've been writing. Like Besos, hopefully it comes out soon. Thanks.

OldYoungOne said...
"we can be kings and emperors of our own lives" this is a power line and I love this poem for that. You make me wanna go back over my stuff and rethink some things.... Good job.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. xD 

laurengerhard SILVER, South Windsor, Connecticut

"I am gone quite mad with the knowledge of accepting the overwhelming number of things I can never know, places I can never go, and people I can never be." -Sylvia Plath

I love the line "we can be kings and emperors of our own lives". Beautiful. 5/5.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Don't sweat it. Sorry if I sounded mean. I admit I can get slightly touchy when it comes to my poetry. But that doesn't mean I don't sppreciate the readers' constructive criticism and their want for me to better myself with my writing. 

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I didn't mean to be harsh. xx I'm sorry. My eyes just pick up on slight rhymes, so if you didn't mean for it to rhyme, I would change the words so that there's no possible way that the reader could misinterpret it. I LOVED your word choice though - fantastic.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Um, thank you for reading it and taking the time to meditate on the poem. I didn't want it to rhyme because it was free verse. Did you mean the rythm? Because to rhyme was not in my intention to do so. I do nonetheless appreciate your honest constructive criticism. I know it means you care about my poetry. not everyone is honest. I will say I did mess up in saying "worlds" instead of "world". Not sure if you caught that. Thank you for your honesty.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

I also loved how you said "kings."

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

I liked it, except for the fact that the rhyming wasn't consistent. I sensed a bit of rhyme in the last stanza, and it bugs me that it isn't consistent. Consistency makes it flow better, and consequently, the reader can understand your writing better.