Soul of Coal

I have a soul of coal that blackens my heart. This coal I cart weighs down my heart. How terribly my heart starts to smart. But when the coal is set a blaze, up my spirits will raise. Reborn again, I walk out of life's maze. With a soul of Fire my heart rejoices with my heart light and merry. I make use of my life by making the world bright!

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The internal rhyme here and there especially with soul and coal add playfulness to this somewhat emotional piece. Very nicely written. 

Midnight5765This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I was a bit confused at "starts to smarts." Good understanding of caring others burdens for their pleasure. :^()

S.S.SplattersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:28 pm :
smarts means to sting or hurt so as to become painful is what i meant