Playing in the Rain

We sat there
As it rained
Lightning arching across the sky
Yet we feared no danger
Feared no evil
We did not-
You and I

We sat there in silence
Nothing to be said
As the rain drummed
Overhead

Your face was drawn
Your lips a thin line
And I know you were thinking
Of all you left behind

Your eyes were glassy, lost in thought
You trembled slightly in the cold
And I wondered…
Would we stay this way, even as we grew old?

So simple, so quiet,
Not restless, loud, or mean
But a part of me began to wonder
Would we ever really feel free?

So long we had sat,
Birds with clipped wings
Longing to move, to grow
To forget painful things

There was nothing to be said
And we did not try to speak
We sat side by side
By that winding, crooked creek

How bright the night looked
Lit up by lightning bolts
And how freely we danced
In the rain like fresh spring colts

Perhaps if we danced fast enough
Or for longer still
We could forget everything
And ignore the night’s chill

So oh how we danced
Twirled and sang
Just you and I
Playing in the rain.

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 2:18 pm:
I like this poem because it sounds as if two teenagers ran away from home and got caught in the rain. Instead of crying about it they begin dancing, making the best of a bad situation. I'm not great with poetry so...Yeah, tell me if I got it wrong XD Hahaha!

bree_breeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 2 at 12:48 pm:
Candlelightwrighter you have astounded me :) this deseves a little red check beside it no doubt. :) and thank  you for looking at my peice its the only one one here that i really like.

candlelightwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 2 at 10:05 pm :
Thank you for the comment, it sincerely made my day. :)

bree_breeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 3 at 12:10 pm :
only too happy to help :) if its no truble could you look at something for me? i just posted it on the forums and i wanted to see if it was publisher ready :) its called a loving blossom.

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 9 at 6:23 pm:
This is so, so, so BEAUTIFUL. I mean, oh my god. Why have I not seen this before? I love this poem so much. The ending is so stunning. This poem flows so calm and lovely.. it's like, airy. It's so nice and pretty. I love the emotions and word choices in here. Spectacular job! Let me know when more of your work is up.. AMAZING, I can't wait to read more.

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 11 at 4:34 pm:
Dang! did you write this!?

Mar. 11 at 10:38 pm :
Haha yes i did. I considered trying to summon the deceased soul od Emily Dickinson to do it for me but decided against it at the last minute ;)