Wallflower This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

There is so much more
to being a wallflower
than standing at dances
when the lights turn blue
and you are aloof
in a tuxedo, rented
or a dress, ironed
by your mother who said
dear, just have a good time.

There is so much more
to being an individual
beyond what the definition is
beyond what others say
an individual is, acts like
dresses like, speaks like
everyone else, but no one else
both at once.

There is so much more
to what we have been defined as
(loners, wallflowers, backs
against the walls during
parties attended out of
hope that one day things
won't seem as bad as they
are now, but none of that
matters because, oh, who
cares anyway? forget it).

There is so much more
to us, and everyone
around us
who wears masks
to veil themselves:
the ugly
the beautiful
the real
individuals.

laila_265 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
“He's a wallflower. You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you understand.” - Perks of Being a Wallflower Amazing poem!! Such great descriptions--"when the lights turn blue and you are aloof in a tuxedo...or a dress, ironed by your mother...dear, just have a good time"- etc. So relatable and you did a great job of evoking emotions!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Whoa!! Just SO true, I love the way you say how an individual can't really ever be truly defined..

Ryan S. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks so much! :)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 4, 2013 at 11:23 am
Oh, You're Welcome! :D