Wallflower | Teen Ink

Wallflower MAG

By ryanswofford BRONZE, Marcola, Oregon
ryanswofford BRONZE, Marcola, Oregon

There is so much more
to being a wallflower
than standing at dances
when the lights turn blue
and you are aloof
in a tuxedo, rented
or a dress, ironed
by your mother who said
dear, just have a good time.

There is so much more
to being an individual
beyond what the definition is
beyond what others say
an individual is, acts like
dresses like, speaks like
everyone else, but no one else
both at once.

There is so much more
to what we have been defined as
(loners, wallflowers, backs
against the walls during
parties attended out of
hope that one day things
won't seem as bad as they
are now, but none of that
matters because, oh, who
cares anyway? forget it).

There is so much more
to us, and everyone
around us
who wears masks
to veil themselves:
the ugly
the beautiful
the real
individuals.

laila_265 GOLD said...
on May. 4 2013 at 12:56 pm
laila_265 GOLD, Houston, Texas
“He's a wallflower. You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you understand.” - Perks of Being a Wallflower Amazing poem!! Such great descriptions--"when the lights turn blue and you are aloof in a tuxedo...or a dress, ironed by your mother...dear, just have a good time"- etc. So relatable and you did a great job of evoking emotions!

on May. 4 2013 at 11:23 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Oh, You're Welcome! :D

on May. 2 2013 at 2:20 pm
ryanswofford BRONZE, Marcola, Oregon
Thanks so much! :)

on Mar. 1 2013 at 12:46 pm

- Maya Angelou

Whoa!! Just SO true, I love the way you say how an individual can't really ever be truly defined..

on Mar. 1 2013 at 12:46 pm

- Maya Angelou