How the World Began

If you look down my street, you'll see all the trees in a line, and the people dotting the sidewalk, heads ducked like the low hanging clouds. Then you cross the street and you stare at the warning read hand flashing to stay back, and the snow turning to slush on the curb. Then you stare at the restaurants under the tall apartments, like the kind you live in, and as you walk to your door you fumble for your keys in your deep winter coat pocket. Once let in you trudge up the 3 flights of stairs to your apartment, and slip your shoes off, and walk into the empty house. Then you sit on your bed and stare at your hands, and as you look up, you realize, that you are nothing more than a person sitting on a bed in a neighborhood that you love, while your parents are away and you think that what if your house never existed? Where would you live? That gets you thinking about if your parents had never met. You would never have been born, and you wouldn't go to the school you go to or had made friends you made. All this info makes your head hurt so you lie down on your bed and imagine how the world started. With dinosaurs and trees and chimps and then people and shacks and wood and wars and more wars and food and famines and water and drought and land and countries and boundaries and states and continents, and skyscrapers and roller-coaster, and Cony Island and Hersey Park and kids and popcorn and movies and theaters and school and everyday life.

If the world had never started, you wouldn't be reading this.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That last line adds the punch that the poem was leading up to. It adds the final touch. The period if you will. Hmmm....caroilnestarr did add an intersting opinion to this. The poem doens't have the format most poems use. I agree with that. Perhaps it would've worked more as an opinion piece. Yet, I think it adds more to the poem. I found poetic elements to it. Besides, you know me. I'm up for new and interesting and unique formats for poetry. It shouldn't all be the same. Most i... (more »)

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Your goal here to get people to think, worked, 100% percent! I mean, this is really interesting. I always think these tings too and to be honest it's very overwhelming and a little bit scary, isn't it? It is! The ending.. so, eery!!

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
things** :o

E.J.Mathews This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This piece really got me thinking, and I think that is what makes a piece really great. Amazing job!

carolinestarr said...
Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:06 am
I don't know if you meant to post this under poetry, but this isn't wehere it should be. Maybe it's an opinion piece? I'm not sure, but it's certainly not poetry. Also, I think it's interesting that you chose to write this in second person. It's not a bad thing, it's just interesting. It's the first thing (other than directions or recipies, of course) that I've read that was written in second person point of view. I think it was a wise choice for this piec... (more »)

jess14 said...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:39 am
I have never thoguht about this before, but this peice made me think about all of that stuff. Keep writing cause this was amazing! :)