You Carried the Cross I Wear

Lightning struck the earth in a beautiful array, a vast and marvelous display.

And the trees bent toward each other, meeting in humble embrace to the ground.

Withered, they created a path to the sky — a hill — a mound.

And all the people threw their hands up to cover it all, your mountain, built by the Fall.

The hill you walked on painfully, with feet bare, and on your back was the cross around my neck I wear.

The hill rose higher, you cried, and the crown pressed farther down and you died.

All the while we watched — waited — for the storms to be abated.

And when the lightning fizzled and the darkness came, you stayed there just the same.

When all of a sudden the earth split in two, the fury of heaven unleashed for you.

Your thorns were lifted, your body wrapped, we lamented a king death had finally trapped.

And then I saw, and my heart filled with fear, your hands pierced and you standing near.

A god among men, you walked among us, you came and carried us, you love us.

freepersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:42 am
I love how you put resurrected as un-died...

LittleLadybird said...
This is so moving!!! I might actually cry....you have an incredible way with words

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Wow, thank you!

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
How old are you because this sounds like a 1000 year old dude that was thier watching it happen made this its soo amazing and everythnig i am now -speechless-

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks Rain and Fallen. I'm 16 lol

RainForMe said...
That..... Is the best!!!!

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is absolutey beautiful.. really, this is so pretty. It gives me chills. You've written something wonderful here and I wish more saw this. I know a lot of people who would love this even more than I, and I'm not sure that's possible. Seriously, soooooo great!

wow, thank you! And thanks for commenting on so many of my poetry, it means a lot! :P

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely adored this. I even read it aloud to my family... We've been studying the bible lately. ;) This is definitely one of my favorite poems on the site, if not my favorite. It really struck a chord in my heart, and I love when poems do that!! (: I love how you write!!

Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:39 am
Wow, thank you so much! That's the nicest comment I've gotten on a poem! :) :)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
  I like the way you've turned a religious event into something so poetic.  Maybe you could've gone with etter word choice plus the last line doesn't meld with the rest.. It doesn't go with the whole rhythm..But on the whole..I like it. Good job. And love the theme !  

I do get what you're saying about the last line of this poem. However, I made it out of place with the rest because it carries a different message than the rest of the poem. It transitions from something dark into something hopeful, and it marks a new beginning. But on the other hand, even if something is purposeful in a poem doesn't mean it's effective:) Thank you!

InuLover_95 replied...
its a beautiful poem and i absolutely LOVE it!!!!!!!! i love how the rythm changes it's freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!

You're so nice, thank you:) I believe you comments on my other poem, Daniel. It means a lot!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:34 am
I guess I get what you mean now, I do like the message a lot!