For A Better Life | Teen Ink

For A Better Life

By LuciDavis SILVER, Santa Rosa, California
LuciDavis SILVER, Santa Rosa, California
8 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Be your own hero.Save yourself.Grow Up" - Mr. Garcia

The dream of being in the shoes of a white man and standing the sands of the promised land brings so much joy to me! For I am prepared to step into my new reality of freedom, oh sweet sweet freedom! expecting nothing less of what I am coming into. I am finally going to be free, I am finally going to be happy
Come to me America, for I will make you proud!

The faces of this new world were nothing of what I have been expecting
The eyes, oh the eyes were like daggers to my confused heart for I don't know what I did wrong
My life, my new life was not what I have been hoping for

I am a Chinese American I may have had money and I may have had a family who loved me but something did not seem right, I felt like I did not belong here,
Did I truly belong here?
No, no I did not

My young body couldn't handle what these men did to me
their punches, their fists that were thrown to me were punishment for something I did not do
my vision of rock n' roll brought me to near death...
Come to me America, for all I want is to make you proud again

I try, and I try, and I still try to paint my vision of my new world but the rains of this sad reality flies by and washes them away into the drain of no return
I work, and I work, and I still work but still no money in my hands for my dinner
I fought, and I fought, and still fought for my rights, but there was still no freedom after my death, I whimper for my beloved in the heavens for she can no longer lay by my side, even in our new cemetery home. Oh why why why?
I am still so lonely

I came for freedom, but I ended up being a slave
I came for much power, but ended up being trapped and beaten like an animal
I came for justice, but ended up being tied down
I came for a new experience, but ended up in a cold cold death
Come to me America, for all I wanted was to make you proud
and all I wanted was a better life

Just like the first piece i submitted, "A Vote Is..." my history teacher wanted my class to write a poem about immigration; what immigrants thought life was going to be like and how it really turned out to be. We had another poetry slam and the winner got to be the our school's Dr. Martin Luther King assembly and I was the winner! Since I was already part of the assembly "cast" already, it was kind of like a bonus for me! Everyone was surprised with how I performed this poem but everyone seemed to love it! I am so proud of this poem and I hope I get to perform again soon.