Do we ever listen to our own advice?

Be an optimist, I say
Lusty desire resist, I say
Go dream, I say
Be united team, I say
Be selfless, I say

You’re never defenseless, I say
Forget, forgive, I say
Life is to live, I say

I say
I tell
I advise
And I pray
Like hell
To get a piece of the prize
Yet as I put to paper
All these things I say
Soliloquize
My eyes rise
To a moment of enlightenment
In a flurry, each page
Away, I rent
As thoughts become
Twisted and bent

I've rusted in grief
Optimism? That’s ironic.
Might have turned over a new leaf
Yet mine own words: not the tonic.
Once I even stopped dreaming
For fear of them being shattered
Lost faith and closed my eyes
To the blood being splattered
Oh yes, a grudge I've held
That rash still raw;
‘Cause rather unkindly once,
She showed me my flaw.
I've planned and daydreamed
Of the years to be
Though full well knowing
Of life’s uncertainty.

Take lesson from the Prophet Mohammad (P.B.U.H),
I must.
For he
Wouldn't consent to a poor woman’s plea
To advise her son
Against over-consumption of brown sugar
As was the kid’s wont.
Until three days later,
He (P.B.U.H) did advise the lad;
When he had, himself, forsaken the habit.

Mahnoor said...
Inspiring. Brilliant. Perfect. Do I need to say anymore?

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:47 am
I like the way you built this up with a somewhat-choppy beginning and then longer, more complete lines towards the end. The flow that you created was a good way to heighten emotion. In addition, I think your word choice is excellent. The message in the poem is clear, but I can tell there are a lot of little hidden meanings scattered throughout. Great job!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:16 am
WOW,..you really KNOW how to truly interpret a poem...I'm not so good at that....And I'm so happy that you like it :))))))) Thank you ever so much for the feedback!

JoPepper said...
I really liked this, I liked how you brought in a religious figure to this to prove your point.  (If that makes any sense) xD

I'm glad thta you liked it     :)))))))))      and....what do you mean "If that makes any sense"??

JoPepper replied...
Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:29 am
You're welcome and I just meant that I liked hhow you brought a religious figure into your poem xD

Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:54 am
Oh... well He's much more to me kind of like a role model..

JoPepper replied...
Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:43 am
Cool xD                

Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:10 am
   :D

EPluribusUnumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is fantastic :D I enjoyed reading the begining, quickly grasping your very true, very relatable theme. The end was also superb, and I found it interesting how you worked the Prophet Mohammad into it. Great poem!

Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:22 am
Oh Thank You so much!!  I'm glad you liked it...I was kinda well since most people on this website are Americans, maybe they won't like the ending that much but I'm so happy you liked it..... I wanted to explain how He (P.B.U.H) is the one I always look up to and how He (PBUH) is the perfect person to look up to because every incident of his life is just perfect..... In this poem specifically I wanted to portray how we never never listen to stuff others preach but also we don&... (more »)