Black and White | Teen Ink

Black and White

By EtherealLibretto GOLD, Z, New Hampshire
EtherealLibretto GOLD, Z, New Hampshire

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

It is so clear
You are black
I am white
You are dumb
I am smart
You can't even think
The only thing you're good for
is serving

You are ugly
And smelly
And hateful
No one loves you
I should have you whipped
You are like a horse
You have no feelings
All you can do is work and have babies
I can read and write and do sums
While all you do is work in the fields
You don't even know the alphabet
It is in every way totally clear
White is the superior color
So then what is all this talk
Of melanin?

Not many people realize is that the only difference between white skinned Caucasians and black skinned African Americans is a chemical called melanin, that determines how dark or light a person's skin is.

on Feb. 4 2013 at 7:02 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

OH! I'm so sorry... I was really confused! I'm sorry. I think you should make that the title or something so people don't get mixed signals from you.

on Feb. 3 2013 at 1:14 pm
EtherealLibretto GOLD, Z, New Hampshire

Thanks! What I was trying to convey was a white person talking to a black person, and repeating all of the typical civil war era stereotypes about blacks, then realizing that the only difference is melanin. Thanks for reading and commenting! I really appreciate it. 

on Feb. 2 2013 at 4:47 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

I'm very confused. Your comments on your poem imply that there's nothing between blacks and whites, but your poem is contradicting that. You have a good idea, but you also need to work on rhythm. Keep at it! You've got LOTS of potential! (: