-Burn-

By , Tiverton, Canada
Have you ever watched a candle?
Seen the way the flame licks down the wick,
Melts the wax,
That is helplessly forced to change it's state,
Change it's shape?
And you may not have been the flame,
But you held the lighter
That burned up my world,
Made it seem brighter only to find that the first gust of wind sent it all up in smoke
Thick enough to choke me,
Bind me,
And Blind me,
Until it all cleared
Only then to find
Me:
A disfigured mess of melted wax.
And as soon as it cooled
I didn't relax
I just reached for the same lighter that burned up my life,
Relying on flame
To numb the pain
In each heated drag,
Each burning sip,
Searching everywhere for the same heat
That flew from our lips
With each heated kiss that we shared
When you acted like you honestly gave a care,
Gave a damn,
Seemed like a real man
And not this monster
Who has put me in heavy chains,
Who watches as every day
I am forced to hold my head up
And pretend that
I am not shattered.
When really?

I'm all burned out.

ArtemisValeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 9:40 am:
This is stunning!! Absolutely beautiful! The flow of the poem is perfect, the imagery is breath taking. I would love you imput on some of my work!

radioinsomnia replied...
Feb. 2 at 6:29 pm :
Thanks so much! I shall be sure to check out your work. -Riley

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 12:39 am:
Beautiful poem! I especially loved the blunt statements of "bind" and "blind", that worked really well. :)

RemorsefulPrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 1 at 11:22 pm:
Wow this is fantastic ! I loved it so much, the feelings it evoked were beautiful !

colorguardgrlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 1 at 7:47 am:
this is beautiful it really spoke to me and a situation im going through youre really good keep up the great work

PadoodalleeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 31 at 10:30 pm:
This is amazing. And your first poem! The metaphors are fantastic. I could never get those perfect, but you sure seemed to. Keep writing!