Cancer

They said she had cancer.
A bit much for my little girl mind.
I cowered under the table when my parents left the house.
I cried, hollowing sobs racked my body.
My grandma, my grandma
On her death bed?
I wasn't allowed to see her.
This is for the best, they said.
But she's ,
My grandma, my grandma
Again under the table I cried, swallowing only sorrow.
For now I had to be strong.
She's going to get better they said.
By some miracle she did.
I visited her for winter break
And talked to her on the phone.
I was done cowering, and she was fine.
No more crying.

Smileykin234 said...
LOVED IT! LOVED IT! and wonderful detail and i could feel your pain. Wonderful!XD

EnnaGirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i think this poem is very good. you should add more description, but it is very good overall

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks! Will do

MumfordandSons27 said...
I liked this because it seems real and it's a very relatable topic. I think if you used more imagery or metaphors your poem could be even stronger. Good job (:

Thanks! By The Way... I LOVE Mumford and Sons

sadesdd said...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:48 am
This poem is awesome how it goes into what you were feeling, and then the reassuring ending:)

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dealing with all of this must really be tough. I haven' t ever experienced something like this, but you portrayed the feelings extremely well! Impeccable job.

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You are very talented, I'm going through the same thing right now with my grandma... But people are strong:)

Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:57 am
Thanks! I hope your grandma gets better. People are really strong!

Kinze said...
This is an amazing poem. I'm glad your grandmother is better. Hope she stays that way. ~until next time.

jess14 said...
Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:52 am
this poem is really inspiring, i love reading poems that actually have good endings!