Cancer

They said she had cancer.
A bit much for my little girl mind.
I cowered under the table when my parents left the house.
I cried, hollowing sobs racked my body.
My grandma, my grandma
On her death bed?
I wasn't allowed to see her.
This is for the best, they said.
But she's ,
My grandma, my grandma
Again under the table I cried, swallowing only sorrow.
For now I had to be strong.
She's going to get better they said.
By some miracle she did.
I visited her for winter break
And talked to her on the phone.
I was done cowering, and she was fine.
No more crying.

RozaAlexanderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 20, 2013 at 11:18 am
true beauty, your love for your grandma is something to be honered. This show the dedication you show for her, its truly something to be proud of.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:44 am
Liv, oh Liv,,.. No one should ever have to go through espcially not such a little girl and I'm ever so proud of how brave you were. As you know and as I don't have to say, I can relate and I felt every line of the poem pierce me like a dagger but as I got to the ending , the heartache ceased and   I was relieved. This gave me hope. I am so so happy that she healed and she's well again. My heart goes out to you. All that felt I cannot put in words, for they are too meaningless to... (more »)

cimfamlove4ever said...
this is amazing and so relatable. i had to deal with the whole you can't see them for the best dilemma except it was the hospital keeping me from seeing my grandfather because i wasn't 12 years old yet. I really love this. i totally understand the whole now more tears shed when my grandfather went into remission.

Metal4Life said...
You did a wonderful job in making this poem come to life! I can totally relate to this...it really brings the poem alive for those who can make a real life connection to it. In addition, I love the use of repition of my grandma, my grandma, it defiantly brought home the images in my head! Amazing!

LexusMarie said...
Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:27 am
I'm so glad that she is okay! I can relate to this very easily, it wasn't cancer that my grandpa got it was alzheimer's, but I wasn't allowed to go and visit him either. I was told that I was too little and that I did not need to see him like that. I sometimes still wish I could have seen him because days later he passed, but I understand my family's perspective on that. You did a wonderful job capturing the fear and sorrow that the little girl had! I felt bad and I wanted to... (more »)

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:31 am
Thanks! Alzheimer's runs in my family also

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I know I already commented... ButI had more to say! Personally, I like the poem how it is currently. Not love, just like. The reason for this is because it's almost like letting the little girl win, if that makes sense. As it is inspiring, it's just further expressing a child's sense of a "fairy tale world." In a child's world, everything is just dandy, but unfortunately we aren't blessed with perpetual luck. As this situation can very well happen, I think the poem ... (more »)

WhenItRains21 said...
You did a great job creating an image of a scared little girl, something that's often times hard to do. I love the happy ending! Wonderfully done!

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:17 am
Good imagery, powerful emotion!  Really liked this poem!!

E.J.Mathews This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Really great poem! It told a great story, and a lot of raw emotion.

Choirgirl said...
Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:16 am
This is a great poem.  I am glad you wrote about your grandma.  I can relate.  My mom died of cancer a few years ago.  Keep writing!

Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:07 am
thank you, it means alot. I am sorry about your mom

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh, great story and great poem. Plenty of emotion to keep the reader hoping everything's gonna be alright. it gives hope for anyone going through the same process. 

holly1999 said...
I really liked this, and I'm really glad your grandma got better

Sparkle1popsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great story, I loved how symboliv the table was. 

Shadowpomgurl said...
my dad, gramps and grandma all died of cancer. its epidemic right now in this country. but im SOOO glad ur grandma got better...strong woman!

I am sorry for your losses, and I'll keep you in mind

Sefora said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:09 am
so powerfull!!!!!!!!

Lecksi_e said...
I liked it! Maybe try to form it into a story, because I could picture it in my mind!

Anathema-Equinox said...
I like it.  It is a very realatable topic as well, but you could add some imagery to your poem. I liked how it started out bad but then transfered to good at the end. My favorite is, "so much do my little girl mind."