"I Want to be Happy"

Strung up to an IV
Joy drips from a sagging plastic bag
And as he vegetates on the white sheets of a hospital bed,
Laughter tugging on a toothless mouth,
Know that he is living
His dream.

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 9:05 am:
Gosh... that... hurt.... its so sad. Its really bitter-sweet in some ways, but to me it's just sad.

LabradorianThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 9:16 am :
  It's interesting that you found this poem so sad, because I actually didn't write it to be depressing - more as a response to the idea of happiness being one's only purpose in life (Hence the title "I Want to be Happy"), as well as an idea for a science fiction story. Of course, the idea of someone being completely satisfied with artificial happiness is a bit chilling, but then again, they don't know the happiness is artificial, so... (this sounds like a questi... (more »)