A Poetess, I?

One fine evening, I heard
A statement quite absurd.

Yes, if with literary standards you judge
Would seem insane, yet he wouldn’t budge.

He alleged, that leafy friend of mine:
“As a poetess, you shall surely shine!”
I replied so with all my logic straight,
That for a mo, “Utter Silence” was his state.
And this is how went my retort:
‘Should a verse be long or short
No idea whatsoever, have I;
I’m just a girl admiring the sky.
A few right rhymes did once I get,
Was it fluke or failure, with which I met?
Of kinds of poems ¬– I know not a single word!
Just wrote down my thoughts about that little bird.
Then why do you so proudly proclaim
That as a poetess, I’d have fame?’

But then after, I was amazed to see,
He had an answer ready for me.
Those singular words as he uttered,
A butterfly, by my shoulder, fluttered.

It all left me speechless, here’s what he told:
‘The answer your own questions hold.
I don’t think a poetess is tried,
With all the stuff that you implied.
But is one who knows without knowing
What words are, from pen to paper flowing.
Penning down thoughts to her is bliss;
If from inspiration springs, true poetry ’tis!
That’s why I say, a poetess thee
Let this matter settle can surely be.’

Now I write, turns out he didn’t lie;
For ain’t a progressing poetess, I?

WrenArrington said...
Wow, I love the way you arranged your sentences, and your rhyme scheme flowed very nicely--it didn't seem forced at all, almost like you just accidentally used rhyming words. The whole thing had an old-fashioned feel to it. I like how you explore the true meaning of being a poet in an almost dream-like way. Five stars, definitely.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:02 am
Wow, thank You! And well, I do so love to use archaic word forms... I feel they let poetry flow so much easily.. Thank You so much for reading and for the feedback. 

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Poor poetess, I've really been lazy with my promise to you, haven't I? But now that the school year's over, I'm back again! I really did enjoy reading "A Poetess, I?" for its whimsical wording and fearless optimism. To become a good poet, it is important that you acknowledge yourself to be a poet, and you did that in such an honest, pretty way! But I would also suggest that you work on the flow of your poetry--which is di... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I meant, I think, by your desire... :)

May 25, 2013 at 5:55 am
Ah, don't be ! Because all this last month I haven't been here either and your comments on my stuff are such an amazing welcome back present :D I was busy with exams too.. And now that the school year is over I have more time for TI too......   I am glad that you enjoyed it. This poem means a lot to me. Because of those exact reasons that you pointed out.    And well you're rightI haven't tried much free verse...But I do intend to.  And well "Wh... (more »)

PriyaModi said...
Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:20 am
It is fantastic....the way u frameded words are awesome enough..admirable writing..keep it up .:D  

Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:03 am
Oh Thank you ever so much! 

LiraDaeris said...
Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:19 am
Great idea, wonderful presentation, only recommendation would be to iron out the flow. The main kicker is with multi-syllable words. With these, work the stressed syllable to be on the stressed foot of the meter, which is more so icing on top of a cake to have (But who doesn't like frosting?) Other than that, fantastic job on this.

Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:31 am
Thank you for your feedback and your time, the time you took to read this. I am overjoyed, truly! :)) But truth be told I don't really know much about the technicallities of poetry...would love to though so I couldn't quite grasp that properly,...maybe could you please explain it more..please....I'm so sorry to bug you like this but "writing Thank You for your amazing advice" would be meaningless if in reality I couldn't actually get that advice...you get me right? &nbs... (more »)

May 5, 2013 at 4:59 am
Hmmm..okay Now I get it...... at least some of it...did a little research and well at least I know the basic concept now...Thanks!

Hamzawaseem said...
Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:07 am
Aha! I can very well relate to it. I loved your writing style here. It reminded me of Iqbal's poems. And your friend was right. You'll In shaa Allah, enjoy a glorious fame. How long have you been writing? Miss Poetess!

OH Thank You so much for reading! How did it remind you of Iqbal? Just curious.. :P ..Oh Wow really, it seems kind of preposterous to me..."glorious fame" that sounds weird, nice but kinda weird, you know..... Hmm...writing?...ever since I can remember...Poetry? Three years maybe more...I found out about your work when a TI friend of mine commented on it...Then I liked it plus, can't you imagine the joy of finding a fellowcountryman here? :D

I'm so glad you like it...

Hamzawaseem replied...
Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:11 am
The dialogue within the poem kinda reminded me of Iqbal's poems. anyways, this poem deserves a place in the print magazine... Yes! It's a great feeling to find a "humwatan" here. I've got goosebumps already!!! I bet your condition is the same. Thanks for the interaction. Hope to chat with you sometime...

Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:05 am
Oh yes, Iqbal used to write in dialogue form a lot..I wonder why I never noticed that until you pointed it out...:D :D

Hamzawaseem replied...
Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:09 am
Exactly! That's the advantage of feedback. You get to see your work from different perspectives

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
  I was drawn to this by the title, and then pleasantly surprised by the content of the poem! You have a very unique writing style.  I like the way you say things in a different way than they normally would be. For example, I loved the lines “But is one who knows without knowing What words are, from pen to paper flowing.” The meaning of the poem rang true with me. You have a lot of insight. :)

Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:04 am
Yea, I think..you wrote the one "I am not" with a tiny bit of a simliar theme though yours ends with saying that how you are not a poet and mine ends with saying that I am a progressing poet,...anyway to yours I wanted to say this too: "There are many different kinds of poets. Yours is a unique kind too.." And thank you for the feedback..Thank You! <3 I hoped someone might relate...

Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:05 am
Oh and your username is unique..I like it. :D