Sweet Surly Speech

Speech might hurt
Yet speech might heal
And ‘tis speech too
That makes a cold-blooded, feel
If phrases of thunder,
Many before it, kneel
Yet it may prove to be
An imprudent person’s Achilles heel
She, sometimes in truth
Oftentimes, in lies deal
As hard as diamond
May pierce through steel
Though she can win hearts over
‘Tis also her that them
In cold coffins seal

Hamzawaseem said...
Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:07 am
This short poem is a great combination of ideas, images and personified abstraction( in the second half). You possess something magical with words. I love the alliterated title. "Sweet" and "surly", a great oxymoron, since it's for speech. that 'Tis has become a signature of Saphira(Dua). You got a nice name, by the way. I don't know what else to say. 5 Stars!!!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:54 am
Thank You so much Hamza! I love alliteration too, also doube contradictions and irony, so I try to incorporate it all in my writing oftentimes I do succeed. And yes, these words " 'tis", " 'twas", " 'twere"... they seem to flow so much more easily in poems that their full forms, so I do so adore them. And Thank  You. Yours is a nice name as well. My name is my favourite name though I'd have to say. Short, sounds beautiful and speaks for itself. ... (more »)

Wishes-do-come-true said...
Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:18 am
I love this, it's so true. So few words can sting so much....

Thanks. I'm glad you like it :)