Anemophilous | Teen Ink

Anemophilous

By ZacharyWood SILVER, Washington, DC, District Of Columbia
ZacharyWood SILVER, Washington, DC, District Of Columbia

"You've got to be a thermostat rather than a thermometer. A thermostat shapes the climate of opinion; a thermometer just reflects it." -Dr. Cornel West

For the likable trinity: life, love and language—lygophilia
Of time that passes like winds of allegiance,
And the beauty of battle, fortitudinous, xiphophyllous, infrugiferous,
With zeal, love of life, the whorls of veiled language that travel in the breath of a beast.

Of secretive skies that cry in March,
Rigor mortis and vigor, the knowing of the unknowable, like the opinions of oracular oceans, ornithophilous—
Of the apocryphal, crave like candy, Dante’s cantos, love of language……candidly puzzled by the whispers of the wind.
For you: anemophilous, lover of uncertainty, entertain like the visitant what is earthly, hypolithic, esoteric, lithophily….
For you: anemophilous, lover of life’s multifarity, xenophily, the mystery of your monomyth—

For the wind that carries you and your dreams, callithumpian, the way to love life in the darkness of the night.

My 10th grade math teacher inspired me to write this poem when said "be sure that you cherish every day of your life, even when things are not going so well. You have to learn how to make the most out of everyday and every experience." When he said that, I thought to myself, "carpe diem." I thought to myself "if only we all could learn to not only cope with, but embrace the uncertainties of the future; if only we could live each day to the fullest despite the inevitable realities of inconvenience and unexpected obstacles. If only we could seize the most out of every day, and end each day with a genuine expression of the latin phrase, carpe diem!