Play to Win This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“Matthew.”
His name rolls off the nurse’s tongue
Like a bowling ball searching for a strike.
She hands him a foam basketball
Showing him the plastic hoop
Taped to the supply closet
“We got this for you”
His face lights up
Brighter than traffic light
I crumble
The orange ball rolls by my left heel
Matthew runs over to me
“Here you go,” I extend my arm
He freezes before me
Like a deer in headlights
He’s not sure if he should run past the car
Or stay in safety
“It’s for you,” I assure him
His bright expression returns
A few blonde hairs were just beginning to poke out
From under his pale skin
His sea green eyes conquer the majority of his forehead
A toothy grin blossoms
Revealing more teeth than the average two year old
I hand him the ball
“Thank you” he barely whispers.
Then rotates 180°
Almost tripping over his intravenous machine
He races back up his makeshift court
Pausing every so often to giggle at himself
Going in for the layup
It bounces of the tomorrow fund poster
And swoosh
Game point.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 17 at 3:09 pm:
Aww, so sad. It reminds me of The Fault in Our Stars. Great, now I wanna cry. Truly an amazing story. Did you show this to Matthew? Is he okay more importantly? This is one of my favorites. 

Kris_10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 17 at 10:33 pm :
I didn't show him becuase he's only 2. and I don't know if he's okay. I hope so. I heard his doctors tallking once with his mom. Apparently, this was his second time with cancer and he was jus recovering. so he was cancer free last time  saw him but they also said if he go tit again, then it was over. It's so sad and he's so young. But I won't see him again becuase i switched doctors. I pray for him though.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 18 at 12:49 pm :
That's awful. I do hope he will be okay. Thoughts and prayers are with that family. 

Apr. 17 at 1:57 pm:
Officially one of my faves. What an amazing story! it reminds me of The Fault in Our Stars. Crap, now I'm on the verge of tears. Keep rocking and writing poem like this. By the way, is Matther okay? Did you show him this?

redhairCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25 at 4:13 pm:
You have some grammatical errors, but other than that, this is a great poem with so much good imagery and descriptions. You are very talented! Keep writing - you have what it takes to get in the mag.

flannyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 12:39 pm:
AWWW this was s  sad! Heartbreaking, and very moving

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 12:31 am:
Wait the boy is TWO??? That's SAD, omfg! Wow.... I don't even wanna look at anymore poems, jeez! — btw your writing was good, I'm just spazzing out about the fact that is is a true story

Kris_10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 24 at 12:00 pm:
Thanks! I will right now! (:

HeatherSembThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 23 at 11:02 pm:
This was adorable. Have you ever thought about writing fction stories? You would be very good at it, you have a descriptive mind (: Please comment on my poem Orange Grove, Thankss 

KbuschanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 23 at 7:39 pm:
Aww I thought this was great! The fact that you didnt even mention that he had an illness, within the poetry itself at least,  made it have even more of an impact. I love your description with the bowling pins too!!

kaitlynisweirdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 21 at 2:58 pm:
It's so sad that someone so young has to have it so tough. My heart DOES go out to him, as well.  Anyway, I liked your writing. I could clearly picture the scene in my head, and your imagery discriptions are good. I like the line "His name rolls off the nurse's tongue. Like a bowling ball searching for a strike." I don't know. It's just a fairly unusual metaphor and I liked it. It's true that you could probably right an essay on this boy, Matthew. There'... (more »)

Jan. 21 at 7:03 pm :
if you've ever read a poem book, like many of Sonya Sones book, that was the kind of thing i was going for. more of a story in the form of a poem. but thank you! (:

nmk1128This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 20 at 11:00 pm:
This is poem that shouldn't really be a poem; it sounds like something that should be described and written out like an essay with more elaborate detail. I bet Matthre really inspired you though. 

Jaimeexo replied...
Jan. 27 at 3:03 pm :
i thought it was a amazing poem