Like OMG Hi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You see us in the hallways
Crisp white uniforms topped with bright shiny bows
Pom-pom-waving cheerleaders
Flock together in a chorus of “Like OMG Hi!”

We're known for being dumb,
Like we can't walk and chew gum at the same time
However I'll have you know that
You can find all three captains in AP calculus

They say is it a hobby
We are not respected as athletes
But ask the IHSA
We count just as much as you football players

You think it's hard to catch that ball?
Try catching a twisting girl.
We spend just as many hours
Perfecting our effortless spirals.

We have a rep for short skirts
Like Britney in “Bring it On”
But talk to Mrs. Sebesta
Classiness is what we strive for.

Like the Orange Crush yells their lungs off
Competition mats scream our name
Stunt tumble jump cheer dance
Three minutes of pure energy

You think we all have golden blonde hair
And date the quarterback
It is not a popularity contest
You don't have to be a size 2 to earn a uniform

Guys are welcomed into the cheer family
Often met with snickering and
“What team do they play for?”
The answer is OUR team.

I'll have you know that for cheerleaders
There's more than meets the eye
So instead of staring like we're an alien species
Find the courage to just say “Hi.”

Cupcake610This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:05 am:
I loved this poem! I'm not a cheerleader but it's good to see that this poem was written through the eyes of a cheerleader! Keep up the good work and stay strong;)

Elina J. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 9 at 7:49 am:
I love this poem! Simple but upbeatedly elegant.

iWriteForFoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 3 at 5:28 pm:
Absolutely loved this! I'm a cheerleader too and I would love to see us getting more respect. Cheer takes a lot of hard work and dedication!

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 2 at 1:38 pm:
This is really great! I hope people can gather that cheerleaders are more than just eye candy. Thanks for sharing this! XD

Margaret252This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 30 at 9:19 am:
Good piece... I have always felt that cheerleaders needed recognition N diz poem gives da message

flatcap12 said...
Apr. 28 at 10:23 am:
I certainly know the feeling. the marching band at my shcool has been winning awards, we bust our buttsto do well, but ultimately we have ablsolutely no respect. it's ridiculous. good luck.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 25 at 7:37 pm:
I really like this. You've already gotten enough praise by making it into the mag, and look at all these comments! I think if you're going to have a rhyme scheme, it should be an all or nothing deal. The last stanza rhyming threw me off a little. Other than that, it was great.

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 18 at 5:50 pm :
Yeah, I did that too XP

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 12 at 12:18 am:
This absolutely belongs in the magazine :) It's so simple and honest, really well written and well said. I hate people that put lables on groups of people without getting to know them. This is an incredible poem :)

ermahgerdkiara said...
Apr. 9 at 3:37 pm:
I love this poem that you've written! It makes me have a different view of cheerleaders and it's great to hear the side of a cheerleader Also, I just wanted to say that the picture you used is of my school! haha I thought that was ironic that I clicked on your poem and happened to come across it

PaperArmageddonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 7 at 4:41 pm:
This poem definitely gave me a new view on cheerleaders. I read the "I Was a Non-Blond Cheerleader" series a few years ago and although there were a lot of cliches and sterotypes in the story, I found out that cheerleading has a lot to do with gymnastics and acrobatics and takes determination and hard work. I used to think cheerleaders were just bubbly girls who bounced around and yelled rhymes, but after reading those books I knew better. And now, after reading this poem, I know that ... (more »)

FateRunnerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 6 at 8:14 pm:
I'm not trying to disrespect cheerleeding here, but its not exactly a sport. I mean, do you get out of breath and a real workout? Compare it to soccer. Does it take tons of strategic planning like all the other sports? no. Is it an Olympic Sport? no. How did it originate? By people just cheering. Even look at the name of the "sport".  Above you said "three minutes of pure energy". Well other sports are an hour and a half of pure energy.  Also, this poem is c... (more »)

XandiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 23 at 10:12 pm :
Okay, I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm no cheerleader, but do you think that cheerleaders just go to a game without any practice and automatically know what to do? There is a lot of work put into perfecting the performance, and it's not fair to say because it's only 3 minuets long, it's not a real sport. In marching band, it's only a performance lasting a few minutes during halftime, but you still have to practice. Ice scating, a rehearsed thing, but even only a few min... (more »)

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 25 at 7:39 pm :
Way to go Xandi. I'm in marching band too and I'm good friends with a bunch of cheerleaders. It's harder than it seems.

CHA123 replied...
Apr. 26 at 9:39 am :
FateRunner, this poem was to show people that there's more to cheerleading than you think. That didn't work for you. You said it's not in the Olympics so it doesn't count as a sport? Football isn't in the Olympics either. I'm a dancer and at my school dance is highly disrespected, so I could relate to this. Cheerleading does relate to dance in some ways. We practice for fifteen and a half hours a week. That's all for our three and a half minute performances at completions. I'm just saying, don't... (more »)

LillyZ83This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 6 at 8:41 am:
I love how you actually clear peoples perspectives on cheerleaders, it crushes the high school popularity totem pole effect. I hate it when people categorize others, everyone is perfectly fine as who they are.

FilmLoverandWriter14This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4 at 11:47 pm:
Very we'll written! I love your poetry writing, it's very good and totally relatabe! We'll I'm no cheerleader but your point of view on them is true. We all consider cheerleaders as the mean, shallow and popular girls of schools and it's a big stereotype that we all see that we forget that not all of those girls are mean and shallow. They're people too. All in all well written!

kel_the_shellThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 29 at 2:51 pm:
Insightful. I think we all have our unfair sterotypes of groups and I hate to say it but I did think of cheerleaders like this. Obviously I was wrong. Keep on writing and cheering. :)

Jose M. said...
Mar. 28 at 12:31 pm:
You are kidding me? I think we have all evolved from those social views. You want people to say hi to you? what about everyone else who doesnt get a hi everyday or even any attention, but no... you want more attention right? like you dont get any already right?

S. replied...
Mar. 29 at 10:50 am :
@Jose M. What is your problem? The author is just trying to tell readers that not all cheerleaders fit the stereotype. You're response to this poem is the problem, not the poem itself. People like you make it hard for people to keep their heads held high in the hallways in schools.