How to be Attractive (According to Society)

By , Campbellsville, KY
You want to be well known and liked?
Be sexy, then; here’s my advice:
Be bronze or tan, not black or pale,
And have no wrinkles, pores, or scales.
Expose your body—butt and bust—
But hide your face with creams and blush.
And show no mercy to your hair;
Let neither heat nor wax be spared.
Don’t ever eat, but if you do,
Be sure to throw it up, and soon.
Neglect your mind, but not your looks,
Though it may mean your pocketbook.
Should all these measures fail to please,
Try surgery for what you need.
Obey these rules above all else,
And always hate your natural self.
Remember this, although it’s hard:
Appearance dictates who you are.

Deej6595This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 6:38 pm:
I love the rhyme scheme that you used and the topic off what beauty is in the world is one that needs to be discussed about more. I love the whole sarcastic tone of this poem. Definitely one of my favorites.

hermybookworm1 said...
Jan. 29 at 9:31 pm:
This is great! So far my favorite thing on TeenInk.

Jadestorm said...
Jan. 22 at 8:20 pm:
I love your rythem. A lot of time it hard to find that flow, but you found it. Great work

HaagenDazzle said...
Jan. 18 at 9:55 pm:
I love your poem! The poetry flows so wonderfully and blatantly true :) keep up the great work

jar33This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 18 at 11:44 am:
this is amazing and this is so true

KristinCThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 17 at 9:00 pm:
This poem is incredible, and sadly realistic.  The rhythm is flawless!

Khiat2prettyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 17 at 6:49 pm:
The funny part about this is this is really how people think is the way they should view themselves. That is sad, i love myself flaws and all and everyone should. Regardless, i love this poem. aha

TickTockBANG said...
Jan. 17 at 5:08 pm:
Lovely poem, and SO true for a lot of people. The rhyming isn't that cheesy, clunky stuff that makes a writer shift around a line to sound weird but rhyme at the end (cough, like me), so it made the whole thing flow nicely. 

Va L. said...
Jan. 17 at 5:01 pm:
love this article

Ace007 said...
Jan. 17 at 4:42 pm:
Good rhyme scheme, but even better message. The sarcasm and truthfulness makes this poem stand out.

DontJudgeMe4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 17 at 2:21 pm:
Very good, nicely written, I applaud you. This clearly portrays the feeling of society in a fun way

Whompingwillow said...
Jan. 17 at 10:58 am:
awesome ;)

CRAZYxBUNNIThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 17 at 10:25 am:
i love how this accually protrays society and i think i hinted on some sarcasm. this made me grin ear to ear. wonderful job on this brilliantly put togethter piece.

PriyaA said...
Jan. 17 at 9:26 am:
Wow! the rhyme scheme was amazing! and you have brought out the truth in such a brilliant yet brief price of writing! Good Job! :)

crazygracie said...
Jan. 17 at 8:26 am:
Wow this is beautiful! Your language is amazing, it was very realistic and portrayed an excellent view on society. Keep up the great work!

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 17 at 12:41 am:
I love this, and I really hate how society portrays beauty. Wonderful job. 

seriouslyjustkidding said...
Jan. 17 at 12:12 am:
This is so true. Great work.