Defensive This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When someone critiques
The way your stanzas are placed,
How your sentences conjoin at the wrong
Words.

When someone jokes about how poetry
Is nonsense, do they realize that the music
they listen to is poetry in itself?

A rhyme doesn't happen
In the right spot,
Or there are a few poems jumbled into
One.

You grow uneasy
Defensive and dark
Wanting to rip their heads off.
Who are they to critique your thoughts?

Who are they to undermine the way your web spins?
The way your bird sings?
The way you articulate your thoughts into metaphors and similes?

They are no one.
But neither are you.

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 12:19 pm:
I must say, I am so jealous of your ability! You took this poem just to the point of me thinking it was another one of the hundreds of “go your own way, don’t listen to the doubters” pieces out there, but it most definitely is not! How interesting it is that you put an entire poem into just one final line.

GraphicWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 12:43 am :
You know, when I first wrote this, I almost thought that I was retaliating from myself and changing, and I was angry. I remember it was a day whe I had had a bad day at school cause some butt called me a derogatory name that had hurt me because I was changing the style of how I looked.. And I got home, and I just sat down, fuming, and I wrote this thinking that the last line was to show him that all he does in highschool, and being the top dog, and all of that- will mean nothing later in life, a... (more »)

candlelightwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 25 at 2:10 pm:
They are no one. But neither are you. Gosh dang I love that line. This is so true, though, this whole poem. I hate when people tell you that something you write is "wrong". But they are MY thoughts, MY ideas, how can something you don't like be considered wrong, last I checked there were no rules in imagination. awesome poem, though. Definitely deserved publication in the magazine.

Jun. 25 at 6:31 pm :
The restrictions on imagination, or rules, are only the ones we put up ourselves. I also love that last line, and even as the author, I cannot tell you what exactly what it means which confuses me.

GraphicWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 16 at 1:21 am:
Haha well thank you! And I appreciate you reading my work, I really really appreciate it.

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 15 at 6:29 pm:
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM THE FIRST TO COMMENT! This is sooooo good and congrats on the publishing, that's really good. No, that's amazing. Just like this amazing poem. I loved the way you phrased everything and I know I only said I would read 3 of your poems, but this is really good and I wanted to read more. Amazing. Keep rockin