When I Breathe This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Words catch
And bubble
Clawing their way forward at the back of my throat
They burn like fire
Feathers of emotions
Brushing relentlessly
Beneath a pounding skull

And still
I swallow
Pushing down the desperate nails
As they struggle to keep hold
Teeth clench
Blood flows
I roll my lips together
To keep the secrets safe inside

bookmouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 2 at 5:19 pm:
Beautiful piece of writing! It reminds me of one of my characters (she's not on TeenInk...)!

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 8:42 pm :
Thank you! Please do let me know if you ever decide to submit anything with your charater in it here. I would love to read about him/her. :)

Maggie99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17 at 11:24 am:
Wow. Simply breath-taking.

loveissmilesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 11 at 9:42 am :
You have a very powerful vocabulary! abd a elegant writing style. Great job. :)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17 at 9:34 am:
Each single component is amazing,...I really love the detaill..Though you could have gone with some other titel...not too obvious but just different..that's all I could point out ....other than that it's beautifully phrased.

Feb. 17 at 12:01 pm :
I appreciate the critique. :) I did have some difficulty thinking of the title for this. 

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 18 at 11:21 am :
Pleasure :)

mollybug13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 16 at 1:21 pm:
wow really desciptive and relatable... I love it 5 stars. :)

thatunknownthingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 16 at 12:26 pm:
wow, vivid descriptions! chillingly detailed, simple and effective. 4/5!

mrsmusicforlifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 16 at 8:25 am:
Nice use of imagery! I can easily relate! Don't ever stop writing!

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 15 at 10:00 pm:
  Major thanks to all of you! I am so happy you enjoyed this!

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 15 at 8:35 pm:
Oh my gosh, the imagery in this poem was beautiful! I could definitely relate to it:)

Kris_10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 14 at 7:29 pm:
I really like this. It is short but to the point. You said just what you needed to say    

MumfordandSons27This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 13 at 8:50 pm:
I love your word usage. This poem describes perfectly what it is like to want to say something, but you cant.