Baby it's cold outside. | Teen Ink

Baby it's cold outside.

By marischetsea SILVER, Derwood, Maryland
marischetsea SILVER, Derwood, Maryland

Revolution is born from hope, not despair.

Baby it's cold outside.
The kind of chilly that makes you want to crawl back into bed, turn up the holiday music, indulge in a land where the air does not sting and dreams are not crushed by the weight of the snow.
But she is beyond the point of exasperation really more at the level of desperation
so she gets up,
pulls back her hair exposing the worry lines on her forehead,
smears on lipstick to conceal the nibbles on her mouth,
cakes on foundation atop scars of doubt and insecurity.
But upon tiers of make up, all she really wants is a bite of confidence, all she really wants is a taste of popularity, all she really wants is a prince to come and feed her love on a spoon.
Searching for inspiration but all she faces is intimidation when she looks up at faces of perfection; billboard smiles and perfect blonde hair.
She slips on her coat to mask the tension in her gut and cautiously steps out the door.
You never know whats gonna hurt you once you walk out into the real world.
Society could corner you pointing a gun loaded with lies to your head stating by now if you're a virgin you're a loser, if you're not you're a s***.
Society could command you to hand over your purse and scoff at the way Abraham Lincolns are tucked inside your wallet because all you really want is to be emancipated from the bondage of expectations from the slavery of self doubt.
But you just tell society to back off, tell him stories of how you finished last in the mile run but won first in effort. Take him to the intersection of hope street and dreams avenue where you first kissed that boy who called you sexy
Tell society you are not a statistic and the cuts on your wrists do not define the roads ahead of you.
Tell society your nose is crooked and your laugh is obnoxious and give him a gap toothed smile and leave society where he is, stunned because you proved him wrong.
Bid farewell to society and say hello to home sweet home where moms are are known to bake hugs and dads are there to kill the crickets in the basement.
Say hello to cold mornings and quilts atop beds.
There's so much to be happy for.
Say hello to radios playing holiday songs.

Baby it's cold outside.

This is one of the first pieces of spoken word poetry that I've written. Because it's a slam poem, it's really meant to be performed and not just read.