Fly on the Wall

A blur of colors—
A sickening yellow,
A rotten green,
A sinister red
Blending like paint dripping down a canvas.
I hear a voice,
High-pitched,
Interrupted by an outburst of giggles.
Red and white swim together in varsity jackets,
Poland Springs bottles crushed and left on the floor.
I rub my wings together,
And sigh that I can’t see detail.
Plaid and blue intertwine,
Textbooks out
Glasses perched on noses
Like birds on branches.
Black continues on to more black
Squatting on the floor
Whispering into each other’s ears.
A human comes towards me,
And I quickly move to a different place
Along the cold brick wall.
Laughing echoes in my ears,
A hollow sound,
Like knocking on wood.
Mocking voices yell over the noise,
Insulting those lower than themselves.
Mac n’ Cheese squashed on the floor,
Scattered crumbled notes
Under the round tables.
The bell rings,
Everyone runs to the lockers.
I prepare for flight,
And wished that for once
I wasn’t a fly on the wall.

MaybeImCrazyButIThinkILovedYouThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 28 at 9:44 am:
Good job! Did you read that book "fly on the wall" by e. Lockhart?

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 3 at 11:39 am :
Thanks! Nope, never heard of it. Should I?

Alexx_Forever19 said...
Sept. 12, 2013 at 12:15 am:
that was awesome, keep up the good work.

Feb. 11 at 6:54 pm :
Thank you!

spiria said...
May 26, 2013 at 4:01 am:
Very nice. Bullying seems to be a theme very close to your heart; you do a great job at portraying such a heavy and uncomfortable subject with creative beauty.

Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:40 am :
Thank you!

sasssgirrrl22 said...
Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:14 pm:
This is amazing. I love the imagery and basically just the way the entire piece seems to flow. It's unique also, which makes me love it even more. Awesome job!

Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:40 am :
Thank you so much!

laurensoccerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:55 pm:
I love the perspective of the fly and the extended metaphor, comparing the person's view of the world to a fly's view of the world.

Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:05 pm :
Thank you!!

ShahiroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm:
Nice job on this! It's very vivid.......pls check out my work!! thanx

Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:06 pm :
Thank you!

Anansesem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm:
This is good--an insect or a person could experience this.

Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:43 am :
Thank you!

LilyLover said...
I love all your vivid imagery. It is so beautiful

Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:28 am :
Thank you!

writergirly said...
I like this. You've given a new perspective on how people who are seemingly invisible view the world. Well done!

Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:15 pm :
Thank you!

lovely34 said...
Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:31 am:
This is a wonderful poem! Great job!

Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm :
Thank you!