When You're Too Old for Elementary School This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Empty halls,
squeaky floors,
barren walls,
closed doors.
The smell of finger paint
lingers in the air,
the sound of voices is faint
but there.
Vacant classrooms,
a chalk dusted board,
unused brooms,
seemingly ignored.
Wooden desks with scratched in doodles,
a still and silent cafeteria,
where food fights once raged with noodles,
now on the floor forming bacteria.
The air of learning,
is fading fast,
nothing can fill the yearning,
of wanting to go back to the past.

GraphicWriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You know when you're little and you just can't wait to grow up and then when you're older you miss being a child? This was a great portration of that in my mind.

Chichot123 said...
May 7, 2013 at 6:37 am
I really loved what you did with the rhymes. :) Write on :) 

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like the imagery and how it rhymes. Great job.

SarClark said...
I decided to check out this piece after seeing it'd been published in the magazine, and I must say it was definitely deserving. I loved the sense of nostalgia that you were able to put in the poem (at least that's how it was for me). Your rhythm is really nice and it was full of powerful imagery. Thank you for your feedback on my poetry!

mrsmusicforlifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love this! I totally agree and can relate. 

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so true.

prolifepacifist This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I want back!  Hey, remember recess?  Snack time?

3dancer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Totally agree! Somtimes I want to go back to being in like third grade when everything was so much easier! This is a really good poem the descriptions really help you picture everything.